Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Laphan[_2_] Laphan[_2_] is offline

Default Limiting tables in Excel query

Hi All

Wonder if you can help, I work for a company that develops an accounting
package that uses SQL server as the RDBMS.

One of the many features that we have pushed regarding our product is that
accountants and users alike can use a program such as MS Excel to generate
basically any report they want.

However, since visiting a client they have brought to my attention a major
problem. In our program, we limit the menus that certain users can get to
by checking what SQL role they are in. For example, if Joe Bloggs logs in
and he is a member of the Sales role then because his supervisor has set
AstrA Menu Permissions (our own window) to say that Sales can't get into
Purchasing then Joe Bloggs finds that he can't get in purchasing.

The problem is that since I demonstrated to our client that there sales
staff can create their own reports, our client noticed that when I logged in
with Joe Bloggs username and password via Excel's Get External Data window,
I had full access to all the tables in the SQL database.

So my question is, is there anyway that we can limit what tables are shown
in the Add Tables section of Ms Excel/Query so that certain users can only
get to certain tables??

Thanks

Laphan