Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Selection method not available in VB when referencing Excel worksheet

Oscar,

To reference the selection, you will need to select something. This means
that a workbook will need to be activated, as will a worksheet, and a range
will need to be selected.

However, it is rarely necessary to select in Excel VBA, let alone VB. What
exactly are you trying to do?

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Oscar" wrote in message
. nl...
John,

yes, that's the case. I am able to reference the selection in this way,

but
I can't adress any members such as .row or .rows inside the 'selection'
method, The VB IDE doesn't show them and in case I write

oxlWkb.Application.Selection.Row or
oxlWkb.Application.Selection.Rows or
oxlWkb.Application.Selection.Range

the compiler fires an error in runtime. Could you please explain what I

need
to do after the oxlWkb.Application.Selection statement in order to find

out
the row numbers of the toprow and bottomrow.
regards,
Oscar

"John Green" schreef in bericht
Oscar,

Are you saying that you are writing code in VB (not VBA) and that you

have
an object variable referring to an active Excel workbook
(say oxlWkb)? If so, one way to refer to the current selection is:

oxlWkb.Application.Selection

--

John Green - Excel MVP
Sydney

"Oscar" wrote in message

.nl...
In a VB application, I am referencing an Excel workbook. I need to

know
the
row number of the toprow and bottomrow of any range selection.

Therefore
want to use the selection object. However, the 'selection' object is

not
available for the Excel.worksheet method and is only available for the
Excel.application and it doesn't show any method after selection. For
example I can't use selection.rows. How can I change this ?

Oscar