Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Inserting records from Excel directly into a SQL database

Don't see anything here that would indicate that Excel is necessary. Seems
like you could do this all in your database.

Tom Ogilvy

"Chris" <c w a n @ n o s p a m - v i g i l . c o m wrote in message
Hello,

I have very little experience with the more advanced features of Excel and
I'm hoping that some of you can provide me with a little guidance and
suggestions.

What I'd like to do is use macros or VBA (or anything else that might

work)
to insert data entries directly into a database (specifically, Interbase).
So, I need to:

1. Populate the columns in my datasheet.
2. For some columns, generate additional information. For example, if I

had
three columns for First Name, Last Name, Room number, I would need to
generate the value: First name + Last name + " lives in room " + Room

number
+ "." in a fourth column.
3. All four columns of an entry must be entered into a database. This

data
may need to be entered into multiple tables so a function call with

multiple
insert statements would be necessary.

What's the best approach to do this? Do you have any tips or suggestions

on
where I can find more information on how to do this? If you need more
information or clarification, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Chris