Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dianne Dianne is offline

Default Error when string length 1024 and starts with -

Using XL97 SR2. This is more of a puzzle rather than a showstopper, but
I am curious.

In my application, there is a cell that stores a foreman's diary. This
is populated with a userform. Today I had one user getting an Error 7:
Out of Memory when he entered a lot of text. I finally figured out why
and when -- if the length of the string was 1024 *AND* it began with a
hyphen (he uses the hyphen to do bullet points). It was fine if the
length was < 1024 and began with a hyphen, or if it was 1024 and
didn't begin with a hyphen.

As far as I can tell(!), my code isn't bizarre in any way:

Private Sub cmdOK_Click()

Dim strDiary As String

strDiary = Application.WorksheetFunction. _
Substitute(txtDiary.Text, Chr(13), "")
ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Diary"). _
Cells(DIARY_ROW, DIARY_COL).Value2 = strDiary
frmDiary.Hide

End Sub

For now, I've told him not to use the hyphen at the beginning of his
diary -- a space or asterisk or anything else -- so we're working around
it. I will eventually modify the code to detect an initial hyphen and
remove it.

Does anyone have any explanation for this? Or is it just a weird
anomaly?

--
Dianne