Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Trevor Shuttleworth Trevor Shuttleworth is offline

Default Formula - shorter, neater, faster ?

I'm trying to calculate some targets for next year based on this year's
achievements.

So, assume I have twelve numbers in a row for January to December. I want
to discard the three lowest scores and the three highest scores and then sum
the remaining six values and divide by 6 to get an average. I have come up
with the following formula but I'm sure there must be a shorter, neater and
possibly faster way to write it (well, certainly faster to write with less
possibility of getting it wrong !)

=(SUM(A15:L15)-(SMALL(A15:L15,1)+SMALL(A15:L15,2)+SMALL(A15:L15,3 )+LARGE(A15
:L15,1)+LARGE(A15:L15,2)+LARGE(A15:L15,3)))/6

Any thoughts ?

Of course I could just discard the TWO smallest and TWO largest ... which
might be an option.

Thanks for your help

Trevor