Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mohan[_3_] Mohan[_3_] is offline

Default Enhancing performance of excel jdbc: odbc driver

We are having a problem of performance while populating
data from relational db to excel..

a) The high level steps are
i. We are sending a request to the database and
getting the result in the form of an ArrayList of beans.
ii.After getting the arraylist, we iterate the
list and insert beans one at a time in the excel sheet.
Thus for each iteration a query-string is made and
executed.
b) In excel population we have first made a jdbc:odbc
connection. Then we write a querystring as:
"UPDATE [<sheet-name] SET <column-name =
<column-value , ..... WHERE <counter";
After this we are excuting the queryString.
c) The driver we are using is:
"jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Excel Driver
(*.xls)}; "
d) We are using Excel 2000.
e) The number of records we have to insert are aroung
300. The time taken for this insertion is app. 23 seconds.
f) The number of columns we are updating are around
200.

We are finding the bottleneck is the excel updation.
Is there someway we can improve the number of rows
inserted per-second?
Regards
Mohan