Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default best way to add worksheets together

If I were doing this manually, I'd create a new worksheet.

Then for each workbook:
copy the worksheet (just one?) to the new worksheet. But paste it in column
B--not column A. Then put the date of that worksheet in Axxx:Ayyy.

When you're done with this, you'll have all the data in one spot--with the
associated dates in column A.

Now get rid of all the headers except the first ones. (In fact, you didn't need
to copy them from workbooks 2,3,&4.)

Sort your data by the key value and date (descending order so that the most
current date is on top).

Insert a new column A.
put this in A1 (assuming the key value is in column C).
=countif($c$1:c1,c1)
(and drag down)

Now apply Data|Filter|Autofilter and show the values that are greater than 1 in
column A. Delete those visible rows.

This assumes that all the info is on each of the records in each of the files.
(I was assuming that the original split into each workbook was to move whole
rows--not fields within the row.)

Phillips wrote:

All worksheets have the same structure, some have been split up for
different reasons, and I want to create a new "master" that has all of the
records.

Basically, I need to copy all of the records together, but by doing this, I
would get many duplicate records. What I would like to do, is to have a nice
clean empty worksheet, and then look at all of the other sheets in the
workbook, look at each record, if the record is not found, add it. If it is
found, then look at the last modified date, and which ever date is the
latest, made sure that is the info that is in the master.I would be using
email address as a unique key. The date is a column label lastmodified.

HTH,
Phil

"Paul Robinson" wrote in message
om...
Hi Phil
Your question is far too vague.
regards
Paul

"Phillips" wrote in message

I have several worksheets and I would like to add them together.

I do not want to copy or create duplicats, and I want the one with the
latest date (LASTUPDATED is a date)

How would I do this?

Thanks
Phil