Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jeff Smith[_2_] Jeff Smith[_2_] is offline

Default Tolerances Logic for Excel

Can anyone help in this re-post?

I have tried and tried to solve the logic of Pass/Fail to applicable
tolerances:

The table of tolerances are

Situation A Situation B

<= 60 = +20 -20 +30 -20
80 = +20 -20 +30 -30
100 = +30 -30 +40 -40
=120 = +40 -40 +40 -40

I need to measure the number of results that are out of tolerance in a list
(up to 1500 records). I envisage dedicating a column to fill with "0"/"1"
or "TRUE"/"FALSE" or "PASS"/FAIL".

I have spent many hours on this problem and am no nearer to solving the
logic than when I started. Has anyone encountered a similar situation? Or
can someone "see" the logic?

I would be even more impressed if someone can help with how to "highlight"
in Conditional formatting so the Pass/Fail can be detected at the time of
data entry. This is less important than counting the "failures".

Situation A is sampling and testing the product at the point of sale where
confidence the sample is representative of the batch is higher than
Situation B where sampling is prior to release of the product from the
production facility.

The range of values are stipulated at 60, 80, 100 and 120 but it is
permissible to supply values below 60 and above 120 but the tolerances
remain at the lower and upper levels regardless.

It is easy for a persons mind to determine pass/fail but not so easy to
define for a program. The real need I have is to determine the number of
non-conformances as there is a permitted nuimber of "failures" per group of
10 results.

Thanking any of you wonderful experts in grateful anticipation.

sincerely

Jeff Smith