Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Auric__ Auric__ is offline

Default How can I protect my work?

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 01:12:26 GMT, Michael Kintner wrote:

Use the password protect and using the max password you can key in. Use a
mixiture of Alpha upper and lower with numbers and then at the 8th, 16th and
32th position insert a return value "chr(13)". It will confuse those
password programs. Note once you enter the password like this you can not
undo so make sure you have a copy of your program.

"Big Chris" wrote in message

Having worked long and hard on some Excel creations I wanted to secure
them so that my work can't easily be copied.....and I can maybe sell my
creations.
However, having inserted 32 digit passwords I have come across a free
program that you can download that will remove it in 1 minute 18
seconds!!!

I have one of those programs, and I can assure you that it does *not*
get confused by carriage returns *anywhere*. What it does is *replace*
the existing password. (I suspect that it's stored in a fixed-length
hash or something similar.) So, while your method might stop
brute-force cracking, it will do *nothing* against the one I use. (I
know it works, BTW - I used it to unprotect the macros used by Adobe
Acrobat to make PDF files.)
--
auric "underscore" "underscore" "at" hotmail "dot" com
*****