A Microsoft Excel forum. ExcelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ExcelBanter forum » Excel Newsgroups » Excel Discussion (Misc queries)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

How do I sum numbers thru specifying the amount from another cell?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 23rd 06, 04:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default How do I sum numbers thru specifying the amount from another cell?

So this is what I was wondering on how to do:

I have a set of numbers, and I want to sum them, BUT I don't always want to
sum all of them. The amount to sum is specified thru another cell, and I am
always summing the numbers in order. Ex. if I type in a cell "5", it'll sum
the first 5 numbers, but if i type in 10, it'll sum the first 10 numbers. So
basically, the numnbers to sum are dependent on the number you input in the
one cell. I tried looking at SUMIF, but that only returns the sum if the
corresponding row of another column meets a criteria. The criteria for my
case is in the one cell. What equation do I use?
Ads
  #2  
Old March 23rd 06, 04:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default How do I sum numbers thru specifying the amount from another cell?

One way

=SUM(A1:INDEX(A1:A100,B1))


where you would put the number of rows you want to sum in B1, note that it
will sum the whole range if nothing is entered in B1 so if you don't want
that

=IF(B1="","",SUM(A1:INDEX(A1:A100,B1)))


--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"William" > wrote in message
...
> So this is what I was wondering on how to do:
>
> I have a set of numbers, and I want to sum them, BUT I don't always want
> to
> sum all of them. The amount to sum is specified thru another cell, and I
> am
> always summing the numbers in order. Ex. if I type in a cell "5", it'll
> sum
> the first 5 numbers, but if i type in 10, it'll sum the first 10 numbers.
> So
> basically, the numnbers to sum are dependent on the number you input in
> the
> one cell. I tried looking at SUMIF, but that only returns the sum if the
> corresponding row of another column meets a criteria. The criteria for my
> case is in the one cell. What equation do I use?



  #3  
Old March 23rd 06, 04:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default How do I sum numbers thru specifying the amount from another cell?

=sum(offset(A1,0,0,5,1)) will sum the five cells starting in A1 and going
down through five cells. You could use a cell reference rather than 5:
=sum(offset(a1,0,0,b1,1))

"William" wrote:

> So this is what I was wondering on how to do:
>
> I have a set of numbers, and I want to sum them, BUT I don't always want to
> sum all of them. The amount to sum is specified thru another cell, and I am
> always summing the numbers in order. Ex. if I type in a cell "5", it'll sum
> the first 5 numbers, but if i type in 10, it'll sum the first 10 numbers. So
> basically, the numnbers to sum are dependent on the number you input in the
> one cell. I tried looking at SUMIF, but that only returns the sum if the
> corresponding row of another column meets a criteria. The criteria for my
> case is in the one cell. What equation do I use?

  #4  
Old March 23rd 06, 04:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default How do I sum numbers thru specifying the amount from another cell?

Hi!

Try this:

The range of numbers is A1:A10. There can be no empty cells within the
range. B1 is the cell where you enter the number of cells to sum.

=SUM(A1:INDEX(A1:A10,B1))

Will there always be a number of cells that is at least equal to the number
selected? For example, you only 5 numbers in the range but the number
entered in cell B1 is 10?

Biff

"William" > wrote in message
...
> So this is what I was wondering on how to do:
>
> I have a set of numbers, and I want to sum them, BUT I don't always want
> to
> sum all of them. The amount to sum is specified thru another cell, and I
> am
> always summing the numbers in order. Ex. if I type in a cell "5", it'll
> sum
> the first 5 numbers, but if i type in 10, it'll sum the first 10 numbers.
> So
> basically, the numnbers to sum are dependent on the number you input in
> the
> one cell. I tried looking at SUMIF, but that only returns the sum if the
> corresponding row of another column meets a criteria. The criteria for my
> case is in the one cell. What equation do I use?



  #5  
Old September 12th 09, 05:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Lost in Query
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default How do I sum numbers thru specifying the amount from another cell?

I cannot get SUMIF to work for me at all.

I have a Sum Range F9:F129 = numbers
I have a Criteria Range A9::A129=Dates
and I have a Criteria M2 (TODAY)
I want all numbers in the range F9:F129 to be added thus SUM all up to TODAY
<=M2 depending on Dates in column A9:A129 but it just comes back with nil it
doesn't seem to recognise that M2 is a number (TODAY) and thus it will not
calculate anything.

Chris


  #6  
Old September 12th 09, 05:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15,768
Default How do I sum numbers thru specifying the amount from another cell?

What does your formula look like?

It should look like this:

=SUMIF(F9:F129,"<="&M2,A9:A129)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP


"Lost in Query" > wrote in message
...
>I cannot get SUMIF to work for me at all.
>
> I have a Sum Range F9:F129 = numbers
> I have a Criteria Range A9::A129=Dates
> and I have a Criteria M2 (TODAY)
> I want all numbers in the range F9:F129 to be added thus SUM all up to
> TODAY
> <=M2 depending on Dates in column A9:A129 but it just comes back with nil
> it
> doesn't seem to recognise that M2 is a number (TODAY) and thus it will not
> calculate anything.
>
> Chris
>
>



  #7  
Old September 17th 09, 07:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DaleS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default How do I sum numbers thru specifying the amount from another c

I'm trying to use multiple criteria in my SUMIF and COUNTIF functions and I'm
unable to figure out how to nest/combine them using the same rationale as
shown below [ =SUMIF(F9:F129,"<="&M2,A9:A129) ]

I want to do something that would be like: and("<="&M2,">="&M3)
but can't get the syntax right...

Thanks


"T. Valko" wrote:

> What does your formula look like?
>
> It should look like this:
>
> =SUMIF(F9:F129,"<="&M2,A9:A129)
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>
>
> "Lost in Query" > wrote in message
> ...
> >I cannot get SUMIF to work for me at all.
> >
> > I have a Sum Range F9:F129 = numbers
> > I have a Criteria Range A9::A129=Dates
> > and I have a Criteria M2 (TODAY)
> > I want all numbers in the range F9:F129 to be added thus SUM all up to
> > TODAY
> > <=M2 depending on Dates in column A9:A129 but it just comes back with nil
> > it
> > doesn't seem to recognise that M2 is a number (TODAY) and thus it will not
> > calculate anything.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> >

>
>
>

  #8  
Old September 17th 09, 09:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15,768
Default How do I sum numbers thru specifying the amount from another c

If you want to sum based on a date range:

M2 = lower boundary date
M3 = upper boundary date

=SUMIF(F9:F129,">="&M2,A9:A129)-SUMIF(F9:F129,">"&M3,A9:A129)

Note that the boundary dates are included in the sum.

Format as General or Number

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP


"DaleS" > wrote in message
...
> I'm trying to use multiple criteria in my SUMIF and COUNTIF functions and
> I'm
> unable to figure out how to nest/combine them using the same rationale as
> shown below [ =SUMIF(F9:F129,"<="&M2,A9:A129) ]
>
> I want to do something that would be like: and("<="&M2,">="&M3)
> but can't get the syntax right...
>
> Thanks
>
>
> "T. Valko" wrote:
>
>> What does your formula look like?
>>
>> It should look like this:
>>
>> =SUMIF(F9:F129,"<="&M2,A9:A129)
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>
>>
>> "Lost in Query" > wrote in message
>> ...
>> >I cannot get SUMIF to work for me at all.
>> >
>> > I have a Sum Range F9:F129 = numbers
>> > I have a Criteria Range A9::A129=Dates
>> > and I have a Criteria M2 (TODAY)
>> > I want all numbers in the range F9:F129 to be added thus SUM all up to
>> > TODAY
>> > <=M2 depending on Dates in column A9:A129 but it just comes back with
>> > nil
>> > it
>> > doesn't seem to recognise that M2 is a number (TODAY) and thus it will
>> > not
>> > calculate anything.
>> >
>> > Chris
>> >
>> >

>>
>>
>>



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to limit amount of numbers in cells in excel Jeff Excel Worksheet Functions 6 August 20th 08 04:03 PM
For Hector Miguel - Inserting page numbers in cell mato nanjin Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 December 30th 05 03:09 PM
Possible Lookup Table Karen Excel Worksheet Functions 5 June 8th 05 09:43 PM
Cell will not format numbers correctly for a 13 digit custom barc. Laudan Excel Worksheet Functions 4 April 11th 05 08:13 PM
Paste rows of numbers from Word into single Excel cell BecG Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 December 8th 04 04:55 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.