How to remove a data point in a chart?

Old July 15th 05, 04:05 AM
Vicky

Default How to remove a data point in a chart?

Is there a way to remove the value of a data point so that it doesnt skew the
data in a scatter or line chart. In other words, I would like to be able to
conceal the data point(s) which are not within the trendline.
Old July 15th 05, 05:15 AM
R.VENKATARAMAN

I have some notes on this from newsgorup. this is only tentative solution

deleting one segment of the chart

click line(of graph)
after a secod click segment
only the two points on two ends of the segment is highlighted
righclick segment
click <format data p;oint> the operative word is point
select pattern
line-none
marker-none
click ok
cick again on the plot area
the segment is deleted
you can do this the other segment also

but only problem is that the previous point is not connected to the next
point.
there is a gap in the graph
anyhow wait for a solution from an expery

Old July 15th 05, 05:21 AM
R.VENKATARAMAN

subsequent to my previous message I have found the source It is from Debra
Dalgleish see the forllowing

quote
Debra Dalgleish Apr 30 2003, 5:15 pm show options

In Excel 2000, you could click on a line to select the series.
Then, click on a line segment to select it, choose Format>Select Data
Point, and format the Line to 'None'
The segment would disappear.

In Excel 2002, the line doesn't disappear -- it connects the previous,
and next points. You could change the line colour to match the
background colour, for a similar effect to what you had in Excel 2000.
unq;uote

Old July 15th 05, 12:18 PM
Jon Peltier

Do you want to hide the point, or remove it from the calculation of the
trendline?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Old July 15th 05, 04:12 PM
Vicky

Jon, I would like to remove it from the calculation of the trendline. Thank
you. How do I do that?
Vicky

Old July 15th 05, 05:14 PM
Jon Peltier

In that case, you need to remove the point from the data being plotted.
The best thing to do is make a copy of the data, construct the chart
with the copied data, and delete from the copy any outliers.

The chart calculates a trendline using every plotted point, whether you
hide it or not.

- Jon
-------

Old July 15th 05, 05:27 PM