A Microsoft Excel forum. ExcelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ExcelBanter forum » Excel Newsgroups » Excel Discussion (Misc queries)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

cannot insert cells copied from one workbook to another

Old September 23rd 10, 04:42 PM

First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Sep 2010
Default cannot insert cells copied from one workbook to another

I used to be able to select rows in one workbook, press ctrl+C to copy them to the clipboard, select another open workbook by clicking on its tab in the taskbar, select the location to insert the copied rows by clicking on a cell in the far left column, then use the "insert cells" button in the Quick Access toolbar to insert the copied rows without overwriting existing rows.

About a month ago, I uninstalled and reinstalled MS Office 2007 on the same computer, running Windows 7, where I had been using it. I used the express installation as usual with no special options. Ever since then, I cannot insert copied cells between workbooks. The insert function will work within the same workbook, but not between different workbooks.

I can copy selected rows from one workbook to another by using copy and paste, but the copied cells will overwrite existing ones, so in order to avoid that, I must previously insert blank rows in the target workbook equal to the number of rows I am copying.

When I attempt to bring up the insert function, by using the Quick Access Toolbar button, by right-clicking, by using the insert command from the ribbon, or any other way, the target workbook does not show that there are any cells waiting to be copied. It will insert a blank cell or row instead.

This was not happening before I reinstalled the program. Any ideas?
Ads
Old September 23rd 10, 06:19 PM

First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiGuaSiamese View Post
I used to be able to select rows in one workbook, press ctrl+C to copy them to the clipboard, select another open workbook by clicking on its tab in the taskbar, select the location to insert the copied rows by clicking on a cell in the far left column, then use the "insert cells" button in the Quick Access toolbar to insert the copied rows without overwriting existing rows.

About a month ago, I uninstalled and reinstalled MS Office 2007 on the same computer, running Windows 7, where I had been using it. I used the express installation as usual with no special options. Ever since then, I cannot insert copied cells between workbooks. The insert function will work within the same workbook, but not between different workbooks.

I can copy selected rows from one workbook to another by using copy and paste, but the copied cells will overwrite existing ones, so in order to avoid that, I must previously insert blank rows in the target workbook equal to the number of rows I am copying.

When I attempt to bring up the insert function, by using the Quick Access Toolbar button, by right-clicking, by using the insert command from the ribbon, or any other way, the target workbook does not show that there are any cells waiting to be copied. It will insert a blank cell or row instead.

This was not happening before I reinstalled the program. Any ideas?
Probably there are 2 instances of Excel application opened.

What do I mean? When you are opening the 2nd workbook, you should double click the file instead of opening another instance of MS Excel and then use the Open menu from there.