-   -   cannot insert cells copied from one workbook to another (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/266060-cannot-insert-cells-copied-one-workbook-another.html)

XiGuaSiamese

cannot insert cells copied from one workbook to another

I used to be able to select rows in one workbook, press ctrl+C to copy them to the clipboard, select another open workbook by clicking on its tab in the taskbar, select the location to insert the copied rows by clicking on a cell in the far left column, then use the "insert cells" button in the Quick Access toolbar to insert the copied rows without overwriting existing rows.

About a month ago, I uninstalled and reinstalled MS Office 2007 on the same computer, running Windows 7, where I had been using it. I used the express installation as usual with no special options. Ever since then, I cannot insert copied cells between workbooks. The insert function will work within the same workbook, but not between different workbooks.

I can copy selected rows from one workbook to another by using copy and paste, but the copied cells will overwrite existing ones, so in order to avoid that, I must previously insert blank rows in the target workbook equal to the number of rows I am copying.

When I attempt to bring up the insert function, by using the Quick Access Toolbar button, by right-clicking, by using the insert command from the ribbon, or any other way, the target workbook does not show that there are any cells waiting to be copied. It will insert a blank cell or row instead.

This was not happening before I reinstalled the program. Any ideas?

wickedchew

Quote:

Originally Posted by XiGuaSiamese (Post 959674)
[...]

Probably there are 2 instances of Excel application opened.

What do I mean? When you are opening the 2nd workbook, you should double click the file instead of opening another instance of MS Excel and then use the Open menu from there.