How to calculate frequency of lottery numbers?

Old June 2nd 09, 11:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Xray_Man

Default How to calculate frequency of lottery numbers?

I'm new to Excel, so please explain things to this newbie in non-technical
terms as much as possible! I have downloaded the array of previous week's
winning lottery numbers, and I want Excel to create a number frequency chart
for me. The numbers are 1 to 59. I want to calculate a histogram of the
frequencies of each number from 1 to 59. So far, I set up Excel so that the
results of the previous lottery games are in 5 collumns.
A1:A100,B1:B100,C1:C100,D1100,E1:E100. I then entered the numbers 1 through
59 into K1:K59. I tried to use the Frequency function, which sort of seems to
calculate the frequencies as expected, but I don't know where to find the
resulting array of frequencies. I hope what I just said didn't sound too
silly, but my problem is that I don't know how to complete the job so that I
can some how view the array of frequencies in some easy to view form, such as
a histogram. Any help would be most appreciated (and I hope it makes me
rich!! LOL)
Old June 3rd 09, 12:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Don Guillett

I once played the Texas lotto and kept a log of winning numbers. Probably
best to use a macro to record as each game is played. However, my file
showed me that playing the lotto was not a winning proposition so I QUIT.
However, if desired, send your file to my address below and I'll take a
look.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

Old June 3rd 09, 12:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
AltaEgo

Unless I misunderstand the question, you seem to be seeking a count of the
number of times each number appears in the range A1:E100. If so, in L1 enter
the formula:

=COUNTIF($A$1:$E$100,K1)

Copy the formula down to K59.

We all know whoever runs the lottery takes away the biggest prize but hope
springs eternal.
--
Steve

Old June 3rd 09, 01:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max

When you think of it, its pointless to put in so much effort analysing, since
its basically memoryless from one draw to the next. Doesn't mean the frequent
ones are better than the infrequent/cold. For an easy flutter to one's
budget, I'd just ask at the sales counter for a computer pick or two, and be
done with it. Don't even need to mark any forms, etc.
--
Max
Singapore

Old June 3rd 09, 02:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Xray_Man

Thanks AltaEgo! You gave me the help that I was looking for, although I still
may have more questions after working with it some more. The other posters
did not provide any help. They were mainly concerned about the philosophy of
whether or not playing the lottery is a right or wrong thing to do. I wasn't
looking for a lecture in morality. <roll eyes>

Later...

Old June 3rd 09, 02:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Xray_Man

Okay, AltaEgo, I'm still having a problem making it work. Maybe if I explain
what I want to do a little differently, it would help. I am looking at the
last 100 PowerBall games, and I want to calculate how often the numbers 1
through 59 have shown up in those 100 games. There are 5 white balls drawn in
each game, and each ball can have a value between 1 and 59. So, if say number
23 popped up 31 times over the last 100 games, I want to some how visualize
it. That's why I thought the Frequency function would be the right function
to use. I downloaded the last 100 games into arrays A1 through E100, where A1
through A100 represents the first of 5 balls drawn, then B1 through B100
represents the second of 5 balls drawn, etc. I used K1 to K59 just to have
an array of numbers from 1 to 59. Got me so far? Now, what I want to do is
to some how end up with either an array of frequencies or some sort of
histogram (like a bar chart) to visually display the frequencies as heights
of the bars in the bargraph. Then I could play the numbers with the highest
frequencies from the last 100 games. I realize that this scheme probably
won't make me a zillionairre, but it might give me a slight (and I mean VERY
slight) edge over letting the computer give me a random pick. Any input
would be much appreciated. THANKS again...

Old June 3rd 09, 03:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
AltaEgo

My pleasure. I suspect you will enjoy building your lottery tool more than
spending the winnings <bg>

--
Steve

Old June 3rd 09, 03:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
AltaEgo

OK, I understand the problem. My view is that charting is overly complex.
However, this does not mean you cannot see the result graphically. An
alternatives to charting:

1) To the right of you raw data, create an array that counts the number of
times each number appears each week (i.e. so it shows 1 or 0).
2) Set the spreadsheet to not show zero values
3) Conditional format the area to highlight cells with a value = 1

How to:

Set up you spreadsheet so it has a single row above your data

Set up your numbers 1-59 across row 1 of the spreadsheet. Starting at column
K1, enter 1, at L1, enter 2, etc. up to BQ which will have the value 59.

In K2, enter the formula "=COUNTIF($A2:$E2,K$1)

Copy this so it appears in all cells from K2 to BQ101.

Instructions below relate to Excel 2003:

To suppress zero values
A) Select Menu 'Tools', Command 'Options', Tab 'View'
B) Under 'Window options' uncheck 'Zero values'

XL2007
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...CH100793441033

To conditionally format
A) Select the whole range of your counts (K2 to BQ101)
B) Select Menu 'Format', Command 'Conditional formatting...'
C) Leave the first drop-down set to 'Cell value is'
D) Change the second drop-down to 'equal to'
E) In the next (blank) dialogue box type 1
F) Click the [Format...] button and choose your format colour from the
'patterns' tab.
G) Click [OK] twice to see the result.

XL2007
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...CH100648451033

--
Steve

Old June 3rd 09, 04:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Xray_Man

Thanks again, Steve! I'll give that a try. Because I'm new to Excel, it may
be a bit of a struggle, but it's a program that I've been wanting to learn
for quite some time, and this seems like a good practice project that will
get my feet wet!

Later....

Mike

Old June 3rd 09, 05:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
AltaEgo

If you aim to enjoy Excel, rather than make a fortune, I am sure you will
get a lot out of the exercise. Meanwhile, the following resources may help
you from time to time:

In no particular order:
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html (recommended)
http://www.bettersolutions.com/excel.aspx
http://www.advanced-excel.com/index.html
http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/ExcelMain.htm
http://mistupid.com/tutorials/excel/
http://www.brainbell.com/tutorials/ms-office/excel/
http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/tips
http://www.mrexcel.com/articles.shtml

Don't try to take it all in at once. Grow your knowledge as you need to use
it.

--
Steve