MS Excel Freeze panes based on selection does not work for me

Old January 18th 09, 03:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken_Ohio

Default MS Excel Freeze panes based on selection does not work for me

I am running Office 2007.
I am trying to freeze the top two rows in an Excel spreadsheet.
I highlight the top two rows and use "Freeze based on selection" option.

The app does not freeze the panes I have selected.
It freezes 11 rows down and 3 columns across (?????) even though it still
shows that I have the first two rows selected.

I tried just selecting two rows and five columns, which is where my titles
are, but the same results occur when I select the "Freeze based on selection"
option: 11 rows down and 3 columns across.

There doesn't seem to be any other way of doing this, or am I missing
something?
The option to freeze the top one row does work, but that is not what I need
to do.

Can anyone offer help with this?

Sincerely,
Ken

Old January 18th 09, 05:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sherry

well, just for the heck of it, I clicked on row 3, held down shift, clicked
on freeze panes and clicked on freeze panes again and it worked! Good Luck!
--
sherry

Old January 18th 09, 05:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Select a single cell.

Anything left of or above that selected cell will be frozen.

F3 will freeze rows 1:2 and columns A:E

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 07:51:00 -0800, Ken_Ohio

Old January 18th 09, 07:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken_Ohio

Sherry:

Thank you for your reply. (It did not work, but I appreciate the suggestion.)

I did figure out how to do it:
First, I selected the "Split" button, which is right next to the Freeze menu
option.
Next, I moved the split created by the program to where I wanted the page to
split.
Then, I selected the first "Freeze Panes" option: "Based on current
selection".

Ken

Old January 18th 09, 07:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken_Ohio

Gord: