Beginning of Year

Old August 26th 08, 10:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lucy

Default Beginning of Year

I'm nowhere near the technical level as most of you on this site, so I'm
hoping you can help me out.

Isn't there a formula you can enter in Excel that will return the first
calendar year of a year?
Old August 26th 08, 10:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

Not sure what you mean - could you re-phrase?

Pete

Old August 26th 08, 11:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom[_2_]

What do you mean by calendar year? If you have a date in A1 and you want the
first date of the same year you can use

=DATE(YEAR(A1),1,1)

format as date

Peo Sjoblom

Old August 26th 08, 11:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gary''s Student

Put a year in A1 and in A2, enter:

=DATE(A1,1,1) then format A2 as dddd to display:

Tuesday
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200801

Old August 26th 08, 11:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lucy

Sorry, clarification: I have a date in the format (mm/dd/yyyy), say in cell
H4. I wish to enter a formula, say in cell G5, that would return 01/01/yyyy
of the year in cell H4. Is there such a formula?

Old August 26th 08, 11:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

Put this in G5:

=DATE(YEAR(H4),1,1)

Format the cell as you wish to see it.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Old August 26th 08, 11:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lucy

Beautiful! Thank you.

Old August 27th 08, 12:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

You're welcome, Lucy - thanks for feeding back.

Pete