Junior Member

Question Need the minus amount to show

Good morning,

I have been helping the boss do a spreadsheet that has been very, very formula heavy. I'm a basic Excel user, so these formula's are not the easiest things in the world to complete correctly. I have finally gotten most of them in, but there's one that I'm working on now that's giving me a hard time.

=MIN (b4*12-25%,b4*12-500) + (c4*12-25%,c4*12-500) fills in b18 for me with the correct answer, but I can't figure out how to make the figure show up in the cell. Let me illustrate:

The first part of the formula is to take either the b4 amount times 12 minus 25% --if this amount is less than or equal to 500 then that figure should be used. If it is more than 500 then 500 should be used.
(b4*12-25%)
234.25 * 12 = 2811
2811 * 25% = 702.75 Since this amount is more than 500, 500 should be used instead. ~~this is actually the amount that I want to show in the cell, the amount saved~~
2811 - 702.75 = 2108.25 ~~this is the answer that is showing up in the cell, which is not quite what I need. ~~

I am getting the correct answer, but I want to show the savings of 702.75 + 702.25 in the cell, not the total. How do I make the formula show me the result that I want? Please help...

Last edited by txheart : April 17th 08 at 07:52 PM Reason: clarity
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Need the minus amount to show

You'll need to tell us what formula you are using, what values you are
feeding into the formula, what result you are getting, and what result you
wanted.

The formula you gave isn't legal. You ended with + (c4*12-25%,c4*12-500)
but I wonder whether you intended there to be another MIN in there?
Don't try to retype a formula between your spreadsheet and the group; copy
and paste instead.

I don't understand what you were trying to show us in your example.
You show 2811 * 25% (702.75), but your formula doesn't multiply 2811 by 25%.
25% is 0.25, and you have subtracted that from 2811, to get 2810.75. If you
want to calculate 25% of your 2811, you need not b4*12-25% but b4*12*25%.
It isn't clear, however, where you want to show this and how you want to
related this to your b4*12-500, nor how you want to relate these to the
corresponding c4 terms.

Have another think about what your question is, and then there might be more
chance of someone being able to help you find an answer.
--
David Biddulph

"txheart" wrote in message

Good morning,

I have been helping the boss do a spreadsheet that has been very, very
formula heavy. I'm a basic Excel user, so these formula's are not the
easiest things in the world to complete correctly. I have finally
gotten most of them in, but there's one that I'm working on now that's
giving me a hard time.

=MIN (b4*12-25%,b4*12-500) + (c4*12-25%,c4*12-500) fills in b18 for me
with the correct answer, but I can't figure out how to make the figure
show up in the cell. Let me illustrate:

=MIN (234.25*12-25%, 234.25*12-500)
235.25 * 12 = 2811
2811 * 25% (702.75)= 2108.25

I am getting the correct answer, but I want to show the savings of
702.75 + 702.25 in the cell, not the 2108.25. How do I make the formula
show me the result that I want? Please help...

--
txheart

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

b4*12-25% does *not* subtract 25% from b4*12.

25% is simply 25/100 or 0.25. Therefore, to Excel, your formula is:

=b4*12-0.25

That's why you are getting the results you are getting.

Next, to get the best results, you should proofread your posts before
hitting send. Then you won't be confusing potential problem solvers. I'm
sure in your last line you meant to say:
2811 - 25% (702.75)= 2108.25

Subtracting 25% of a number is the same as multiplying by 75%. Therefore, to
get the results you want, change your formula to any one of:

=b4*12*75%
=b4*12*(1-25%)
=b4*12*(1-0.25)
=b4*12*0.75

Do the same for the rest of your formula

Regards,
Fred.