HOW DO I SUM TWO CELLS FROM ONE WORKBOOK TO ANOTHER WORKBOOK?

Old March 13th 05, 11:57 PM
Bill O'Neal

Default HOW DO I SUM TWO CELLS FROM ONE WORKBOOK TO ANOTHER WORKBOOK?

I'm using Excel 2002, trying to create a budget (say, workbook 1) that sums
data from a second workbook (workbook 2). There may be 3 or 4 cells in
workbook 2 (each one the sum of a column of figures) that I would like to add
together and enter in a single cell in workbook 1. Using the Consolidate
command in the Data menu, I can link one cell from workbook 2 to a cell in
workbook 1, but I can't get two or more workbook 2 cells to be added into a
single cell in workbook 1. I'm sure there's an elementary solution to this.
Could someone please help?
Old March 14th 05, 12:15 AM
Ragdyer

You can work around this type of syntax:

=SUM(Sheet2!A1:A2)

=SUM(Sheet2!A2,Sheet2!E2,Sheet2!A4,Sheet2!E5:E8)
--
HTH,

RD

Old March 14th 05, 03:02 AM
CLR

=SUM('C:\My Documents\[Workbook2.xls]Sheet1'!A1:A3)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Old March 14th 05, 10:27 PM
John Britto

You can simply use the sum formula or just link each cell starting with =
sign then + the cell reference + cell reference and so on..

John Britto

Old March 16th 05, 01:55 PM
Bill O'Neal

I found that for the cell in Worksheet 1, where the various cells from
Worksheet 2 were to be added, I wrote "=SUM(" and clicked on all the cells in
Worksheet 2 that needed to be consolidated, and Excel did the rest. Thanks
for showing me the way.

Old September 4th 08, 07:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
the_damnit

Lets say I have a big column of data. In this case it data taken every 15 min.
I want to turn this into data every hour so I must sum 4 cells at a time and
end up with this data in a column.
The issue is that if i do this with formulas and then try to extrapolate it
down then lets say my new column looks like this
Sum(Sheet2!A1:A4)
Sum(Sheet2!A5:A8)
Sum(Sheet2!A9:A12)
Ect.

Then if I try to drag this down the new cells are
Sum(Sheet2!A2:A5)
Sum(Sheet2!A3:A6)
Sum(Sheet2!A4:A7)
Sum(Sheet2!A6:A9)
Sum(Sheet2!A7:A10)
Sum(Sheet2!A8:A11)
Ect

This second set of data is not what I am looking for and I don’t know how to
do this with out entering in 800 formulas.

any ideas?

Old September 5th 08, 12:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Enter this in A1 of Sheet1

=SUM(INDEX(Sheet2!A:A,ROW(A1)*4-3):INDEX(Sheet2!A:A,ROW(A1)*4))

Drag/copy down as far as you need.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 11:06:13 -0700, the_damnit

Old August 14th 09, 11:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
HRG

RD's answer was helpful, but I found I had to use inverted single quotes
around the name of the worksheet.

Old August 14th 09, 11:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Biddulph[_2_]

Yes, you have to put single quotes around the sheet name if it includes
spaces.
--
David Biddulph