-   -   HOW DO I SUM TWO CELLS FROM ONE WORKBOOK TO ANOTHER WORKBOOK? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/17451-how-do-i-sum-two-cells-one-workbook-another-workbook.html)

Bill O'Neal

HOW DO I SUM TWO CELLS FROM ONE WORKBOOK TO ANOTHER WORKBOOK?

I'm using Excel 2002, trying to create a budget (say, workbook 1) that sums
data from a second workbook (workbook 2). There may be 3 or 4 cells in
workbook 2 (each one the sum of a column of figures) that I would like to add
together and enter in a single cell in workbook 1. Using the Consolidate
command in the Data menu, I can link one cell from workbook 2 to a cell in
workbook 1, but I can't get two or more workbook 2 cells to be added into a
single cell in workbook 1. I'm sure there's an elementary solution to this.
Could someone please help?

Ragdyer

You can work around this type of syntax:

=SUM(Sheet2!A1:A2)

=SUM(Sheet2!A2,Sheet2!E2,Sheet2!A4,Sheet2!E5:E8)
--
HTH,

RD

"Bill O'Neal" <Bill wrote in message
I'm using Excel 2002, trying to create a budget (say, workbook 1) that

sums
data from a second workbook (workbook 2). There may be 3 or 4 cells in
workbook 2 (each one the sum of a column of figures) that I would like to

add
together and enter in a single cell in workbook 1. Using the Consolidate
command in the Data menu, I can link one cell from workbook 2 to a cell in
workbook 1, but I can't get two or more workbook 2 cells to be added into

single cell in workbook 1. I'm sure there's an elementary solution to

this.
Could someone please help?

CLR

=SUM('C:\My Documents\[Workbook2.xls]Sheet1'!A1:A3)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Bill O'Neal" <Bill wrote in message
I'm using Excel 2002, trying to create a budget (say, workbook 1) that

sums
data from a second workbook (workbook 2). There may be 3 or 4 cells in
workbook 2 (each one the sum of a column of figures) that I would like to

add
together and enter in a single cell in workbook 1. Using the Consolidate
command in the Data menu, I can link one cell from workbook 2 to a cell in
workbook 1, but I can't get two or more workbook 2 cells to be added into

single cell in workbook 1. I'm sure there's an elementary solution to

this.
Could someone please help?

John Britto

You can simply use the sum formula or just link each cell starting with =
sign then + the cell reference + cell reference and so on..

John Britto

"Bill O'Neal" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2002, trying to create a budget (say, workbook 1) that sums
data from a second workbook (workbook 2). There may be 3 or 4 cells in
workbook 2 (each one the sum of a column of figures) that I would like to add
together and enter in a single cell in workbook 1. Using the Consolidate
command in the Data menu, I can link one cell from workbook 2 to a cell in
workbook 1, but I can't get two or more workbook 2 cells to be added into a
single cell in workbook 1. I'm sure there's an elementary solution to this.
Could someone please help?

Bill O'Neal

I found that for the cell in Worksheet 1, where the various cells from
Worksheet 2 were to be added, I wrote "=SUM(" and clicked on all the cells in
Worksheet 2 that needed to be consolidated, and Excel did the rest. Thanks
for showing me the way.
"Bill O'Neal" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2002, trying to create a budget (say, workbook 1) that sums
data from a second workbook (workbook 2). There may be 3 or 4 cells in
workbook 2 (each one the sum of a column of figures) that I would like to add
together and enter in a single cell in workbook 1. Using the Consolidate
command in the Data menu, I can link one cell from workbook 2 to a cell in
workbook 1, but I can't get two or more workbook 2 cells to be added into a
single cell in workbook 1. I'm sure there's an elementary solution to this.
Could someone please help?

the_damnit

HOW DO I SUM TWO CELLS FROM ONE WORKBOOK TO ANOTHER WORKBOOK?

Lets say I have a big column of data. In this case it data taken every 15 min.
I want to turn this into data every hour so I must sum 4 cells at a time and
end up with this data in a column.
The issue is that if i do this with formulas and then try to extrapolate it
down then lets say my new column looks like this
Sum(Sheet2!A1:A4)
Sum(Sheet2!A5:A8)
Sum(Sheet2!A9:A12)
Ect.

Then if I try to drag this down the new cells are
Sum(Sheet2!A2:A5)
Sum(Sheet2!A3:A6)
Sum(Sheet2!A4:A7)
Sum(Sheet2!A6:A9)
Sum(Sheet2!A7:A10)
Sum(Sheet2!A8:A11)
Ect

This second set of data is not what I am looking for and I dont know how to
do this with out entering in 800 formulas.

any ideas?

"Bill O'Neal" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2002, trying to create a budget (say, workbook 1) that sums
data from a second workbook (workbook 2). There may be 3 or 4 cells in
workbook 2 (each one the sum of a column of figures) that I would like to add
together and enter in a single cell in workbook 1. Using the Consolidate
command in the Data menu, I can link one cell from workbook 2 to a cell in
workbook 1, but I can't get two or more workbook 2 cells to be added into a
single cell in workbook 1. I'm sure there's an elementary solution to this.
Could someone please help?

Gord Dibben

HOW DO I SUM TWO CELLS FROM ONE WORKBOOK TO ANOTHER WORKBOOK?

Enter this in A1 of Sheet1

=SUM(INDEX(Sheet2!A:A,ROW(A1)*4-3):INDEX(Sheet2!A:A,ROW(A1)*4))

Drag/copy down as far as you need.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Bill O'Neal" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2002, trying to create a budget (say, workbook 1) that sums
data from a second workbook (workbook 2). There may be 3 or 4 cells in
workbook 2 (each one the sum of a column of figures) that I would like to add
together and enter in a single cell in workbook 1. Using the Consolidate
command in the Data menu, I can link one cell from workbook 2 to a cell in
workbook 1, but I can't get two or more workbook 2 cells to be added into a
single cell in workbook 1. I'm sure there's an elementary solution to this.
Could someone please help?

HRG

HOW DO I SUM TWO CELLS FROM ONE WORKBOOK TO ANOTHER WORKBOOK?

RD's answer was helpful, but I found I had to use inverted single quotes
around the name of the worksheet.

"Bill O'Neal" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2002, trying to create a budget (say, workbook 1) that sums
data from a second workbook (workbook 2). There may be 3 or 4 cells in
workbook 2 (each one the sum of a column of figures) that I would like to add
together and enter in a single cell in workbook 1. Using the Consolidate
command in the Data menu, I can link one cell from workbook 2 to a cell in
workbook 1, but I can't get two or more workbook 2 cells to be added into a
single cell in workbook 1. I'm sure there's an elementary solution to this.
Could someone please help?

David Biddulph[_2_]

HOW DO I SUM TWO CELLS FROM ONE WORKBOOK TO ANOTHER WORKBOOK?

Yes, you have to put single quotes around the sheet name if it includes
spaces.
--
David Biddulph