The Callaway Handicap System

Old June 15th 07, 01:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Duncs

Default The Callaway Handicap System

I've read several posts in the group, in relation to the above. I've
also tried, unsucessfully, to download the templates / files that
people have posted links to.

Can someone point me in the direction of / e-mail me a template /
Excel file that will do the above?

I thank you in advance fo ryour help

Duncs

Old June 15th 07, 03:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernie Deitrick

Duncs,

You could use a User-Defined Function. The code below will be in the workbook that I will send you,
used like:

=Callaway($B$3:$B$20,C3:C20,$B$1)

Where
$B$3:$B$20 has pars for each of the 18 holes
C3:C20 has the golfer's actual scores
$B$1 has the overal par for the course

The formula can be copied to the right for additional players.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

Option Explicit
Function Callaway(HolePars As Range, _
HoleScores As Range, _
CoursePar As Integer) As Integer

Dim RawScore As Integer
Dim Hole As Integer
Dim NumAdj As Double
Dim HAdj As Integer
Dim i As Integer
Dim UsedScores() As Integer

'Calculate Raw Score
ReDim UsedScores(1 To HoleScores.Cells.Count - 2)
RawScore = 0

'
'Store the used scores from the first 16 holes for later use
'in adjusting the returned score
For Hole = 1 To HoleScores.Cells.Count
If Hole <= HoleScores.Cells.Count - 2 Then
UsedScores(Hole) = Application.Min(HoleScores(Hole).Value, _
2 * HolePars(Hole).Value)
End If
RawScore = RawScore + Application.Min(HoleScores(Hole).Value, _
2 * HolePars(Hole).Value)
Next Hole

Callaway = RawScore

'Calculate Adjustments
If RawScore > CoursePar Then

'Calc the number of highest holes that need to be subtracted
NumAdj = Int((RawScore - CoursePar + 1) / 5) * 0.5 + 0.5

'Subtract the highest scores from the first 16 holes only
For i = 1 To Int(NumAdj)
Callaway = Callaway - Application.WorksheetFunction.Large(UsedScores, i)
Next i

'Possibly, use half the holes score (rounded up to a whole number)
If NumAdj <> Int(NumAdj) Then
Callaway = Callaway - Application.RoundUp( _
Application.WorksheetFunction.Large(UsedScores, NumAdj + 0.5) / 2, 0)
End If
End If

'Calculate Final Handicap Adjustment
HAdj = 0
If RawScore > CoursePar + 3 Then
HAdj = ((RawScore - CoursePar + 1) Mod 5) - 2
End If
If RawScore > CoursePar And RawScore <= CoursePar + 3 Then
HAdj = RawScore - CoursePar - 3
End If

'Output final Callaway score
Callaway = Callaway - HAdj
End Function

ups.com...

Old June 15th 07, 04:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Duncs

On 15 Jun, 15:21, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote:
> [...]
> End If
> End If
>
> 'Calculate Final Handicap Adjustment
> HAdj = 0
> If RawScore > CoursePar + 3 Then
> HAdj = ((RawScore - CoursePar + 1) Mod 5) - 2
> End If
> If RawScore > CoursePar And RawScore <= CoursePar + 3 Then
> HAdj = RawScore - CoursePar - 3
> End If
>
> 'Output final Callaway score
> Callaway = Callaway - HAdj
> End Function
>
> "Duncs" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > I've read several posts in the group, in relation to the above. I've
> > also tried, unsucessfully, to download the templates / files that
> > people have posted links to.

> > Can someone point me in the direction of / e-mail me a template /

Bernie,

I am extremely grateful to you. I have noticed one small problem
though, and I'd appreciate your input on this.

I have the following par's enterered in column B - 5, 4, 4, 5, 3, 5,
4, 3, 4, 4, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 4, 5, 3
Along with the following scores in column C - 6, 6, 6, 10, 5, 7, 5, 4,
5, 7, 3, 6, 7, 6, 7, 6, 8, 4

These scores total, as far as I can count, 108. However, the
spreadsheet you've provided, totals it as 107.

If I copy and paste the entire column into the next clear column in
the spreadsheet, it does indeed total 108.

Also, if I can ask about the formulas...

In the "Raw Score" row, you have the following formula in C21:

{=SUM(IF(C3:C20>2*B3:B20,2*B3:B20,C3:C20))}

I'm guessing, from reading the formula, that this is saying:

If the Sum of the values in the range C3:C20 (Golfer One) is greater
than the sum of double the values in the range B3:B20 (hole par's),
then the cell C21 gets the value of double B3:B20 (the hole par's)
else, it get the value of the sum of C3:C20 (the hole scores). Is
this right?

Where I am getting confused is with the formula in cell D21.

In D21, you have the formula:

{=SUM(IF(D320>2*C3:C20,2*C3:C20,D320))}

>From this, I believe it is saying...

The Sum of the values in the range D320 (Golfer Two) is greater than
the sum of double the values in the range C3:C20 (Golfer One), then
the cell D21 gets the value of double C3:C20 (Golfer One scores) else,
it get the value of the sum of D320 (Golfer Two scores). Is this
right?

Many thanks for your help

Duncan

Old June 15th 07, 05:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernie Deitrick

Duncan,

The rules of the Callaway system is that the highest score that can count against the golfer is
twice the hole's par. So, if you shoot 10 on a par 4, your score is 8 for that hole - thus the
formula. So, in your example, on the 15th hole, the 7 on a par 3 only counts as 6.

See

http://golf.about.com/od/handicaps/l/blcallawaysys.htm

for the scoring system that I implemented.

As for the raw score, I made a mistake, forgetting to use absolute references. Instead of :

=SUM(IF(C3:C20>2*B3:B20,2*B3:B20,C3:C20))

I should have used

=SUM(IF(C3:C20>2*$B$3:$B$20,2*$B$3:$B$20,C3:C20))

entered with Ctrl-Shift-Enter. Then it will work correctly when copied to the right.

Note that I didn't make that mistake in the function usage. This is correct, and can be copied.

=Callaway($B$3:$B$20,C3:C20,$B$1)

Sorry about that...

Bernie
MS Excel MVP

Old June 16th 07, 05:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Duncs[_2_]

Bernie,

Thanks for getting back to me. What was wrong / confusing me was the
calculation for the raw score. Now that this is fixed, it works perfectly.

Many thanks for you help

Duncs

--
"There are people who have money and people who are rich."
~ Coco Chanel

Old July 2nd 07, 02:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tony Burgess

Default xls to run callaway handicap.

Hi i have found this site while trying to down load a copy of the system can any one e-mail me this spread sheet?
Thanks
tonyob1

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Old July 2nd 07, 02:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tony Burgess

Default Callaway Handicap system

Hi I am looking for a copy of this would you help me out. my e-mail is
Thanks

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Old July 2nd 07, 02:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Suggest you search the 'net for "callaway scoring excel".

Or see this google thread.

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...4df1b61372a18a

BTW..........the spambots now have a new customer.

Posting your email is an open invitation.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Old July 2nd 07, 01:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Duncs

Bernie,

I have another problem with the spreadsheet you sent, that I hope you
can help with.

As mentioned in a previous post, I have the following Par's entered in
Column B: 5, 4, 4, 5, 3, 5, 4, 3, 4, 4, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 4, 5, 3

I now have the following scores in Column C: 10, 8, 8, 10, 6, 10, 8,
6, 8, 8, 6, 8, 10, 8, 6, 8, 10, 6

This give a raw score of 144, and a Callaway Score of 75. However, I
think this score should be 86.

If I then trace through the code for the Callaway function, I find
that the scores passed through are 1 less than the scores on the
spreadsheet. So, it is actually using the values, in HoleScores, of
9, 7, 7, 9, 5, 9, 7, 5, 7, 7, 5, 7, 9, 7, 5, 7, 9, 5.

Can you advise?

Rgds

Duncs

Old July 2nd 07, 08:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernie Deitrick

Duncs,

I assumed that the pattern of holes to subtract continued, so for a raw
score of 144, then the 7 1/2 worst holes could be subtracted. If we limit
the adjustment to 6 holes max, then the adjusted score would be 87.

But I did miss the maximum adjustment of 50 strokes - the last line should
be

'Output final Callaway score
Callaway = Application.Max(RawScore - 50, Callaway - HAdj)

Let me know if the limit is really 6 holes or not... it is easy to adjust
the code to account for it.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP