Moving data from one excel file to another

Old June 4th 07, 10:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
audif

Default Moving data from one excel file to another

I would like to move data from excel file to another. I would like for the
existing data with column names to automatically fill into the second file
with the same column names but in different column locations. I know I can
cut and paste...but can I just match fields like when I work with databases??
Is this possible? Thanks, H
Old June 5th 07, 03:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JLatham

Yes, easier to follow along once and see how it's done:

Open both workbooks involved. Lets say that you want the contents from
Book1 on Sheet1 in cell A1 on a sheet in Book2 at H1.

In Book2 go to the sheet and cell H1 and type in an = symbol
Select Book1 and go to Sheet1 and then click cell A1 and press the [Enter]
key.

If you look at H1 in Book2, the formula will look like this:
=[Book1]Sheet1!$A$1
You could have typed that all in by hand if you wanted to, but the method
just given is 'safe' and guarantees that the formula is written properly -
important for early use.

Now you could 'fill' this formula on down column H in Book2 to (try) to copy
all of the things in column A over in Book1. Won't quite work yet - you need
to change the address of the cell from absolute (with the $ symbols), to
relative (without one or both of them). Removing the $ from in front of the
A (A$1) will permit the column to adjust if you fill to the right in Book2,
removing the $ from in front of the 1 ($A1) will let the row number increase
as you fill the formula down the sheet in Book2. If you remove them both
(A1), then you can fill both to the right and down the sheet in Book2 and
retrieve all of the results over in Book2.

Hope this helps.

Old June 5th 07, 01:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
audif

Works out great...thanks for the assist!

Old June 5th 07, 01:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
audif

Old June 5th 07, 06:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JLatham

You're welcome. Generally this is called 'linking' between two workbooks.
The info in the 2nd workbook will always reflect the content of the original
as long as the original is available to update thru the links.