wages - multiply hours and minutes by number of hours worked

Old March 24th 07, 12:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Carol (Australia)

Default wages - multiply hours and minutes by number of hours worked

I'm new to excel and trying to do wages for a small office by multipling
hours and minutes worked by an hourly rate of $16.25 per hour
A1 is 39:15 ( 39 hours and 15 minutes - hours worked for the week)
B1 is $16.25 ( $16.25 per hour worked)
C1 I require the weekly wage I need to pay = A1*B1 but I don't get the
correct answer

Old March 24th 07, 01:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BoniM

=A1*B1*24

Old March 24th 07, 01:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
chefmike

Hi Carol, I ran the numbers you have given and C1= $636.19, I formated C1 for
accounting and the A1 as general, B1 was formated as accounting also; Hope
this helps
chefmike

Old March 24th 07, 02:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BoniM

Ummm... I think maybe you missed the hours and minutes thingy. The right
answer would be 637.81. 39 hours and 15 minutes times 16.25 per hour. In
accounting format, that would actually make the hours worked 39.25, making a
little, but oh so important when it's your paycheck, difference. :-)

Old March 28th 07, 01:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Carol (Australia)[_2_]

thanks BoniM
yes i see what you mean with the hour & minute thing, but is there a way
that I can get excel to adjust those minutes into the correct format for
multiplying the minutes into a fraction ??
Carol (Australia)

Old March 28th 07, 08:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BoniM

=A1*B1*24
Carol - this formula does the math correctly without you having to multiply
the minutes into a fraction first as long as the cells remain formated as
time. Don't change the format to general or if it is general, change it to
the time format. (Format, cells, time, choose 37:30:55).

Old April 1st 07, 01:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Carol (Australia)[_2_]

Thanks BoniM
i'll give that a go
Carol Australia