Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default summing an array of cells absolute value

In quattro, the formula )) would return the maximum
of the absolute values in cells B5 to B200. I am having troubles
finding a function in excel that will do this

basically returning the max of an arrays absolute values. I know I
can create another column doing the individual absolute values and
just take the max of that, but I would think excel would have a
similar function.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jack

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

try
=max(abs(b5:b200))

them yourself.)

And you can't use the whole column unless you're using xl2007.

=====
Or maybe...
=if(count(b5:b200)=0,"No Numbers",max(abs(b5:b200)))
(still array entered)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

JohnJack wrote:

In quattro, the formula )) would return the maximum
of the absolute values in cells B5 to B200. I am having troubles
finding a function in excel that will do this

basically returning the max of an arrays absolute values. I know I
can create another column doing the individual absolute values and
just take the max of that, but I would think excel would have a
similar function.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jack

--

Dave Peterson

Thanks a ton. the ctrl-shift-enter thing worked. Just as a side note,
why does excel require you to do this?
Jack

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Some functions work like loops--for each cell in that range, do something.
Excel uses the ctrl-shift-enter to know that you want it do that loop.

If you want a better explanation of how to use these array formulas, check out
Chip Pearson's site:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/array.htm

JohnJack wrote:

In quattro, the formula )) would return the maximum
of the absolute values in cells B5 to B200. I am having troubles
finding a function in excel that will do this

basically returning the max of an arrays absolute values. I know I
can create another column doing the individual absolute values and
just take the max of that, but I would think excel would have a
similar function.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jack

--

Dave Peterson

Thanks a ton. the ctrl-shift-enter thing worked. Just as a side note,
why does excel require you to do this?
Jack

--

Dave Peterson
Junior Member

Thank you very much. The cntrl shift enter did the trick. Otherwise excel does not recognize the formula.

combining cells and array from different sheets into an array to pass to IRR() [email protected] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 September 11th 06 07:17 AM
adding cells within an array beecher Excel Worksheet Functions 11 August 30th 06 08:29 AM
Can an array be made of discontinuous cells of the same row? vanillawand Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 February 3rd 06 12:20 PM
Array Brad Excel Worksheet Functions 9 October 17th 05 09:00 PM
Making multiple cells absolute at once Jamie A Miller Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 May 25th 05 01:13 AM