Force Excel To Treat A Cell As Blank

Old October 16th 06, 09:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MDW

Default Force Excel To Treat A Cell As Blank

I want to have the false part of an IF statement to return a...null?...value
I guess. I want Excel to treat the cell as if it were blank.

Right now, this is the function I have:

=IF(M4<>"",IF(ISERROR(YEAR(N4)),M4,N4),"")

It's the

,""

part that I want to replace with whatever will make the cell appear empty.

TIA.
--
Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now!
Old October 16th 06, 09:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

If a cell contains a formula, then the cell is not blank. Even if the
formula returns nothing, the presence of the formula makes the cell non-blank.

Perhaps if you explained what you are trying to do, an alternative could be
suggested.

HTH,
Elkar

Old October 16th 06, 09:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RagDyeR

The zero length string ( "" or null as you call it), will give a cell the
appearance of being empty (blank), since there is nothing visible displayed
in the cell.

Can I guess that it could be that you're looking for something in relation
to perhaps charting (graphing).

If so, try replacing the "" with NA() which XL does not recognize as a value
to graph.
The cell will however, display the #N/A error.
--
HTH,

RD