-   -   Force Excel To Treat A Cell As Blank (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/114686-force-excel-treat-cell-blank.html)

MDW

Force Excel To Treat A Cell As Blank

I want to have the false part of an IF statement to return a...null?...value
I guess. I want Excel to treat the cell as if it were blank.

Right now, this is the function I have:

=IF(M4<"",IF(ISERROR(YEAR(N4)),M4,N4),"")

It's the

,""

part that I want to replace with whatever will make the cell appear empty.

TIA.
--
Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now!

Gary L Brown

Force Excel To Treat A Cell As Blank

If a cell is NOT empty [such as having a formula in it], you can't make Excel
think it is empty. You can only make it LOOK empty, which is what you've
done.
HTH,
--
Gary Brown

If this post was helpful, please click the ''Yes'' button next to ''Was this
Post Helpfull to you?''.

"MDW" wrote:

I want to have the false part of an IF statement to return a...null?...value
I guess. I want Excel to treat the cell as if it were blank.

Right now, this is the function I have:

=IF(M4<"",IF(ISERROR(YEAR(N4)),M4,N4),"")

It's the

,""

part that I want to replace with whatever will make the cell appear empty.

TIA.
--
Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now!

Elkar

Force Excel To Treat A Cell As Blank

If a cell contains a formula, then the cell is not blank. Even if the
formula returns nothing, the presence of the formula makes the cell non-blank.

Perhaps if you explained what you are trying to do, an alternative could be
suggested.

HTH,
Elkar

"MDW" wrote:

I want to have the false part of an IF statement to return a...null?...value
I guess. I want Excel to treat the cell as if it were blank.

Right now, this is the function I have:

=IF(M4<"",IF(ISERROR(YEAR(N4)),M4,N4),"")

It's the

,""

part that I want to replace with whatever will make the cell appear empty.

TIA.
--
Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now!

RagDyeR

Force Excel To Treat A Cell As Blank

The zero length string ( "" or null as you call it), will give a cell the
appearance of being empty (blank), since there is nothing visible displayed
in the cell.

Can I guess that it could be that you're looking for something in relation
to perhaps charting (graphing).

If so, try replacing the "" with NA() which XL does not recognize as a value
to graph.
The cell will however, display the #N/A error.
--
HTH,

RD