how do I change the size of vertical scroll bar

Old July 27th 06, 05:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peg B

Default how do I change the size of vertical scroll bar

My vertical scroll bar only allows me to scroll to the last row that has data
in it. I want to be able to scroll down to any row I want, whether I have
data there or not.

I was able to do this until today. I copied an excel spreadsheet from a
word doc and pasted it into a new Excel workbook. Now the vertical scroll
bar only allows me to scroll to the last row with data. The mouse wheel will
let me scroll down further, but not the scroll bar.

How do I reset the scroll bar to become "small" so that I can scroll down
further?
Old July 27th 06, 12:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can use pgup and pgdn to scroll through the worksheet--past the last used
cell.

And you can use the down arrow key at the bottom of the scroll bar to scroll
down, too.

If you scroll down (using pgdn) as far as you ever need, you can type something
into one of those visible cells. Hit enter and then delete the contents.

You've just extended the used range of that sheet. (Excel keeps track of what
it thinks is the last used cell. That's how it determines the size of the box
in the scroll bar.)

When you decide that you want ctrl-end to take you to the "real" last used cell,
you may want to reset that last used cell.

Debra Dalgleish shows techniques to reset that last used cell:
http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

Old July 28th 06, 01:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peg B

This is helpful. However, do you know of a way to make that range a
"default"? My excel always opened with an ability to scroll down hundreds of
rows. Something happened when I pasted a copied excel spreadsheet into a new
worksheet. Now it is only allows me to scroll to the last row of the
worksheet.

Old July 28th 06, 01:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you have a workbook template named book.xlt in your XLStart folder, then
excel will use that when you create a new workbook by clicking on the new icon
on the standard toolbar.

And you can do anything you want with the worksheets in book.xlt--include extend
the range to way past what excel would think.

And if you create another template file and name it Sheet.xlt (also in your
XLStart folder), then any new worksheet added to an existing workbook will
inherit whatever you have in that template file.

Old July 28th 06, 03:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peg B

I've opened Excel, paged down, put some data in a cell, hit enter, then went
back to the cell and deleted. Then I've saved as book.xlt in the XL Start
folder. As soon as I hit save, it reverts back to the format with the big
scroll bar.

What am I doing wrong?

Old July 28th 06, 01:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nothing.

Some versions of excel will reset that used cell when you close/reopen. (I
forgot that!)

You could cheat.

Instead of putting something in the cell and deleting it, put something in the
cell and keep it there.

You could use a single apostrophe (') or even a formula that keeps the cell
looking empty (="").

Be aware that this will most likely cause trouble when you're printing--you'll
want to set the print range manually to exclude all the stuff you didn't
"really" use at the bottom.

Old July 29th 06, 02:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peg B

Thanks...I appreciate all of your help!