Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Inserting a symbol

Hi all, Does anyone know how I can create a macro that will insert a
symbol when a button is hit.
The following site shows what I mean. When a certain symbol doesn't
occur on your keyboard it can still be entered by hitting the
corresponding button

http://www.turkishdictionary.net/
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I just had to do something like this yesterday.
Hopefully, it'll work for you too.
First find the symbol in the character map for windows-- assuming you're
using windows.
Then, click on the symbol, and look at the bottom of the character map window.
There's usually some type, and name code to describe that symbol.
Then, you'll use the numbers of that symbol to input in your macro.
e.g.,
--------------------------
sub symbol()

activecell.formular1c1 = "your symbol is: " & (&H0398)
'in this case, it will insert a Greek Theta character.

end sub
--------------------------

Since I'm not familiar with turkish characters, I have no idea what their
code values are.

hth....

"Mucah!t" wrote:

Hi all, Does anyone know how I can create a macro that will insert a
symbol when a button is hit.
The following site shows what I mean. When a certain symbol doesn't
occur on your keyboard it can still be entered by hitting the
corresponding button

http://www.turkishdictionary.net/

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Mucah!t" wrote:
Hi all, Does anyone know how I can create a macro that will insert a
symbol when a button is hit.
The following site shows what I mean. When a certain symbol doesn't
occur on your keyboard it can still be entered by hitting the
corresponding button

http://www.turkishdictionary.net/

Hi Steve, Thanks for your reply but it isn't actually what I am
looking for.
Your code inserts a symbol, but it isn't possible to insert it lets
say in the middle of a word.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you want to insert the symbol in to the middle of the word, then use the
form I showed you, but as follows:

Let's say your word is MucaT (since your user name has an exclamation point,
I'll use that as my example)

sub symbol()

activecell.formular1c1 = "Muca" & (&H0021) & "T"
'in this case, it will insert a ! character.

end sub

what you'll then get is Muca!T as your output.

The & .... & placement determines WHERE the character/symbol is placed.
This will work for most everything-- I've used it in numerous cases, and
have even just tinkered/toyed with it to see what I can, and cannot do. So
far I've only had a handful of characters that I cannot use like this.

hth
Best.
Let me know.

"Mucah!t" wrote:
Hi all, Does anyone know how I can create a macro that will insert a
symbol when a button is hit.
The following site shows what I mean. When a certain symbol doesn't
occur on your keyboard it can still be entered by hitting the
corresponding button

http://www.turkishdictionary.net/

Hi Steve, Thanks for your reply but it isn't actually what I am
looking for.
Your code inserts a symbol, but it isn't possible to insert it lets
say in the middle of a word.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Mucah!t" wrote:
Hi all, Does anyone know how I can create a macro that will insert a
symbol when a button is hit.
The following site shows what I mean. When a certain symbol doesn't
occur on your keyboard it can still be entered by hitting the
corresponding button

http://www.turkishdictionary.net/

Hi Steve, Thanks for your reply but it isn't actually what I am
looking for.
Your code inserts a symbol, but it isn't possible to insert it lets
say in the middle of a word.

Hello Steve, thanks for your reply.
I think I didn't make clear enough what I'm actually trying to
accomplish.
It's the same idea as in the webpage I mentioned before.

I want to use the macro for turkish words but as not all keyboards got
the special turkish characters I'd like them to be entered by means of
a button instead of inserting them manually, what is very time
consuming.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Mucah!t" wrote:

Hello Steve, thanks for your reply.
I think I didn't make clear enough what I'm actually trying to
accomplish.
It's the same idea as in the webpage I mentioned before.

I want to use the macro for turkish words but as not all keyboards got
the special turkish characters I'd like them to be entered by means of
a button instead of inserting them manually, what is very time
consuming.

Ok, I think I'm seeing it now.
You're talking about the 6 characters above the search bar.

Please provide an example from you.
When I think of that website, I'm seeing that in webpage form.

You're trying to dynamically choose some character to input a turkish
character when working in excel, correct?

Let me ask this.

Have you gone in to your control panel, selected Regional and language
options, then select details, then on the settings tab select add (@ right),
and it will bring up an add input window. Then select the drop down, and
choose Turkish.
It's my understanding that it will add a whole group of Turkish characters--
essentially turning your keyboard in to a Turkish character keyboard.

let me know how that goes.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Something else that I just thought of.
How many characters are there that you want access to?
Are there only those showing on the top of that webpage? Or, are there more?

"Mucah!t" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Mucah!t" wrote:
[...]

Only the characters shown on top of that website.
Its indeed possible to select Turkish in the Regional and language
options, but I want to use it on different computers and it will be
used by other people too
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok,
those characters only.
How about my original idea, but used in a manner that'd allow you to select
one of them at a time, by use of a simple macro code?

First, which office version are you using? 97, 2000, XP, 2003, or 2007?

Next, We need to find out what the code is for each of those specific
characters.

I've done some further digging and have found some articles that you might
find helpful.
Chip Pearson has a helpful tool he's made.
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/chars.htm

Up front three of the characters can be easily accessed.
alt+0231 will give you the c with the squiggly beneath it.
alt+0246 will give you the o with the two dots above it.
and
alt+0252 will give you the u with the two dots above it.
The g with the upside down round hat (breve) is outside the 255 characters
accessible with the alt key, as is the block i with the dot on top.

"Mucah!t" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

find helpful.http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...036001033.aspx

"Mucah!t" wrote:
[...]

I'm using Office 2007.
Here's the link of the sheet I'm working on.
http://cid-e7c6bf41aa4a9275.skydrive...orum/TR2-2.xls
Thanks for all your help Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Mucah!t" wrote:
[...]

Here's the link of the sheet I'm working on.http://cid-e7c6bf41aa4a9275.skydrive.../Public/Forum/...
Thanks for all your help Steve- Hide quoted text -

Perhaps someone else who can help me with this.