Junior Member

Default How to convert columns of data to one column of text

I need to convert data in various cells to one cell of text. The cells contains numbers and need to be converted in tact as text - example column A 000123 column B 000345 converted to column C 000123000345.

RagDyeR

Then try this:

=TEXT(A1,"000000")&TEXT(B1,"000000")
--

HTH,

RD

"devlkat" wrote in message

RD,
This does not work for what I need. I have cells containing numbers
beginning with 0's and they need to be included in the string of text.
I have tried to use that but it drops the 0's. I have rows of numbers
in various cells that have to be converted to a string of text and
saved as a text document.
Ragdyer Wrote:
Try this:

=A1&B1
--
HTH,

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit
!

-
"devlkat" wrote in message
...-

I need to convert data in various cells to one cell of text. The
cells
contains numbers and need to be converted in tact as text - example
column A 000123 column B 000345 converted to column C 000123000345.

--
devlkat-

--
devlkat

David McRitchie

You have stated as a goal:
I have rows of numbers in various cells that have to be converted
to a string of text and saved as a text document.

Are you familiar with saving an Excel file as a CSV file (comma
separated variables), or as a text file. It sounds like you want
more than just concatenating a few columns together.

But if it is just concatenating a few columns within a worksheet
you might take a look at the join macro in
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm
and since you have formatted numbers you might make a variation
so instead of using c.value in your concatenation you
would use c.text so you concatenate the displayed value as you see it.

That isn't actually what you see in the coding, so instead you might
make a new macro and use .text instead of .value
--
HTH,

"devlkat" wrote in message

RD,
This does not work for what I need. I have cells containing numbers
beginning with 0's and they need to be included in the string of text.
I have tried to use that but it drops the 0's. I have rows of numbers
in various cells that have to be converted to a string of text and
saved as a text document.
Ragdyer Wrote:
Try this:

=A1&B1
--
HTH,

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit
!

-
...-