Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 97 formula doesn't work in Excel 2003

I recently switched from Excel 97 to Excel 2003.

When I open one of my spreadsheets created with Excel 97, all the the
cells in columns B display #NAME?. There is also a green triangle in
the upper left corner of each cell.

The formula in each of the cells of column B is a variation on
=QuarterNum(D642). This appears in cell B642. Column D has dates in
it, and column B has quarter numbers. The formula in cell B642 is
supposed to compute the quarter number based on the date in cell D642.

This works when I open the file with Excel 97.

How may I fix the file so it will work in Excel 2003?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Rech

QuarterNum is not a function built into Excel. I'd guess it is found in an
add-in you were using with Excel 97. If you still have Excel 97 you might
find it listed under Tools, Add-ins. You can probably use this add-in with
Excel 2003 if it is still around. Again, use Tools, Add-ins to 'attach' it
to Excel 2003.

--
Jim
wrote in message
oups.com...
|I recently switched from Excel 97 to Excel 2003.
|
| When I open one of my spreadsheets created with Excel 97, all the the
| cells in columns B display #NAME?. There is also a green triangle in
| the upper left corner of each cell.
|
| The formula in each of the cells of column B is a variation on
| =QuarterNum(D642). This appears in cell B642. Column D has dates in
| it, and column B has quarter numbers. The formula in cell B642 is
| supposed to compute the quarter number based on the date in cell D642.
|
| This works when I open the file with Excel 97.
|
| How may I fix the file so it will work in Excel 2003?
|
| Will in Seattle
| a.k.a. "Clueless"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

=QuarterNum() is a user defined function. (It's not built into excel.)

There are a couple of reasons (that I can think of) that this could fail.

#1. The function is in an addin (*.xla) that isn't installed in excel 2003.
You'll have to find that addin and install it in xl2003 (a different pc???).

#2. The function is in the workbook that uses it, but you didn't change the
security level to allow macros to run. Tools|macro|security (use Low or medium
(and answer Yes to allow macros)). Then reopen your workbook to see if that
helps.