MEGTOM

Default TRYING TO SET UP EXCEL SPREADSHEET ON MY COMPUTER

i WAS GIVEN A DISK WITH A SPREEDSHEET THAT i NEED TO GET INTO MY COMPUTER.
THE COMPUTER POPED UP WITH THE FOLLOWING INFO.
EXCEL SPREADSHEET FILE
FILE EXTENTION;XLS
DESCRIPTION; IST A SPREADSHEESOTFWARE AVAILABLE AT;MICROSOFT EXCEL

HOW CAN I TRANSFER THIS DISK INTO MY COMPUTER.I HAVE A DELL WITH MICROSOFT
WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION.

THANKS
MEGTOM
Peo Sjoblom

You can download an excel viewer from MS for free, download a free office
suite or buy the program itself if you want to be able to open the
spreadsheet, finally avoid using all caps, it is considered rude

Peo Sjoblom

"MEGTOM" wrote in message
i WAS GIVEN A DISK WITH A SPREEDSHEET THAT i NEED TO GET INTO MY COMPUTER.
THE COMPUTER POPED UP WITH THE FOLLOWING INFO.
EXCEL SPREADSHEET FILE
FILE EXTENTION;XLS
DESCRIPTION; IST A SPREADSHEESOTFWARE AVAILABLE AT;MICROSOFT EXCEL

HOW CAN I TRANSFER THIS DISK INTO MY COMPUTER.I HAVE A DELL WITH MICROSOFT
WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION.

THANKS

MEGTOM

RagDyer

You must *own* a copy of XL in order to use (work on) the spreadsheet.
To just read and/or print, you can download a *free* XL reader (viewer) from
this MS Office site:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/000/viewers.asp

--
HTH,

RD

"MEGTOM" wrote in message
i WAS GIVEN A DISK WITH A SPREEDSHEET THAT i NEED TO GET INTO MY COMPUTER.
THE COMPUTER POPED UP WITH THE FOLLOWING INFO.
EXCEL SPREADSHEET FILE
FILE EXTENTION;XLS
DESCRIPTION; IST A SPREADSHEESOTFWARE AVAILABLE AT;MICROSOFT EXCEL

HOW CAN I TRANSFER THIS DISK INTO MY COMPUTER.I HAVE A DELL WITH MICROSOFT
WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION.

THANKS

MEGTOM

Don Guillett

FIRST!!! Please do not type in all caps in any ng. It is considered very bad
negiquette.
Excel is not a part of Windows. You must buy it or get a free program called
"Open Office" or get the excel viewer from the microsoft free files download
section.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"MEGTOM" wrote in message
i WAS GIVEN A DISK WITH A SPREEDSHEET THAT i NEED TO GET INTO MY COMPUTER.
THE COMPUTER POPED UP WITH THE FOLLOWING INFO.
EXCEL SPREADSHEET FILE
FILE EXTENTION;XLS
DESCRIPTION; IST A SPREADSHEESOTFWARE AVAILABLE AT;MICROSOFT EXCEL

HOW CAN I TRANSFER THIS DISK INTO MY COMPUTER.I HAVE A DELL WITH MICROSOFT
WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION.

THANKS

MEGTOM

Timothy L

First off, don't use all caps. UPPER CASE LOOKS AS IF YOU'RE SHOUTING.

http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...TipsForPosting

Your question asks about copying the .xls file from the disk (I'm assuming floppy disk) you were given to your
computer's hard drive.

To do this, insert the floppy disk into the floppy drive.
From the desktop, double-click "My Computer" and then double-click on "3½ Floppy (A:)".
Right-click on the file you wish to copy (in this case, the file ending in .xls) and click on "Copy".
Close or minimize that window.
From the desktop, double-click "My Computer" and then double-click on "My Documents".
Click on the "Edit" menu, then click "Paste".

You have now copied (transferred) the file from the floppy disk to your computer's hard drive.

But wait, what do you do with the file? All you did was make a copy of it.

When you double-clicked the file to open, there was no program on your computer that could open it. So, you
were asked if you wanted to look up what program/application opens files of this type.

That is where this page came into place:
http://shell.windows.com/fileassoc/0...ir.asp?Ext=xls

It states that the .xls file you are trying to open is MOST LIKELY a Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet file.

It then goes on to say "Software or information available at:" with link titled "Microsoft Excel". That link
takes us to http://www.microsoft.com/office/excel/

This means that you will find out how to obtain (or some information about) this piece of software called
"Microsoft Excel" at that site.

So, how do we obtain this software that should be able to read your .xls file? Read on to find out.

First thing to note is that Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel, and the Microsoft Excel Viewer are NOT included
in Microsoft Windows. Your .xls file didn't open because your Dell computer (running Windows XP Home Edition)
did not come with any such software that can open it.

Below are a bunch of links that will tell you what exactly you will need to do and how much it will cost to
obtain Microsoft Excel or the Microsoft Excel Viewer. I have also explained the difference between Microsoft
Excel and the Microsoft Excel Viewer.

If you just need to open/view or print a Microsoft Excel Worksheet (.xls) or Microsoft Excel Template (.xlt),
then all you need is the free Microsoft Excel Viewer.

Keep in mind that the Microsoft Excel Viewer 2003 and Microsoft Excel Viewer 97 are just what the name
implies, a viewer which only allows you to "view" (and print) Microsoft Excel Worksheets (.xls) and Microsoft
Excel Templates (.xlt).

View this: Opening a file when you don't have the program

Share Excel files by using Excel Viewer 2003

Download details: Microsoft Excel Viewer 2003

To create, edit, and save Excel Worksheets and Excel Templates, you will need to either purchase an
edition/suite of Microsoft Office that includes Microsoft Excel, or purchase the full version of Microsoft
Excel.

Most third party software (which is NOT developed or even supported by Microsoft) can create, edit, and save
Excel Worksheets and Excel Templates. You can find more information about this later in my post.

Microsoft Excel 2003 Product Information
http://www.microsoft.com/office/exce...o/default.mspx

Microsoft Excel 2003 System Requirements
http://www.microsoft.com/office/exce...fo/sysreq.mspx

How to Buy Microsoft Excel 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/office/exce...y/default.mspx

Microsoft Office Product Information Home
http://www.microsoft.com/office/prodinfo.mspx

Microsoft Office System Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.microsoft.com/office/faq.mspx

Office 2003 Editions Product Information : The Cornerstone of the Microsoft Office System
http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit...o/default.mspx

Office 2003 Editions Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit...dinfo/faq.mspx

What's in the Office 2003 Editions?
http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit...y/compare.mspx

Microsoft Office Online Home Page
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003 System Requirements
http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit...tudentreq.mspx

Do You Qualify for Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003?
http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit...ouqualify.mspx

How to Buy Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit...y/student.mspx

Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 System Requirements
http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit.../standreq.mspx

How to Buy Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit.../standard.mspx

NOTE: Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003 and Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 contain the
same software.

Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 System Requirements
http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit...fo/proreq.mspx

How to Buy Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit...fessional.mspx

A downloadable trial version of Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 (which includes Microsoft Office Excel
2003 Trial) is available.

Trial versions contain all the functionality of the regular (full) version, but can only be used for a limited
time. When the trial period ends, the software will go into reduced functionality mode. Essentially, you will
be able to view Excel Worksheets and Excel Templates even after the trial period ends, but not be able to
create, edit, or save them.

Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 Trial information
http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit...dardtrial.mspx

Keep in mind that the Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 Trial Software is 228 MB in size. If you are on a
dialup internet connection, the download may take a while and you will need to remain connected during the
download process. With that in mind, you might want to order the Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
Trial on CD.

Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 Trial information
http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit...nfo/trial.mspx

How to convert an Office 2003 Trial edition to a full retail edition
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831023/

How to Convert Microsoft Office System Trial Product to a Full Version
http://www.microsoft.com/office/trial/convert.mspx

Office 2003 Trial setup and uninstall information

Or you could download a free open source office suite alternative (such as OpenOffice.org) which can create,
open, edit, and save Microsoft Word Documents (.doc), Microsoft Word Templates (.dot), Microsoft Excel
Worksheets (.xls), Microsoft Excel Templates (.xlt), Microsoft PowerPoint Presentations (.ppt), Microsoft
PowerPoint Slide Shows (.pps), and Microsoft PowerPoint Templates (.pot).

You find more information about OpenOffice.org at, well...
http://www.openoffice.org/

The latest stable release (at the time of this post) is OpenOffice.org 2.0. You can download it he
http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.0/index.html

During installation of OpenOffice.org, you will be asked if you want OpenOffice.org to automatically open
Microsoft Word Documents, Microsoft Excel Spreadsheets, and Microsoft PowerPoint Presentations. As long as you
make sure that these options are NOT checked when you get to this step, OpenOffice.org won't make these
changes and the Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint (full version or the viewer) will
remain the default for opening these files. This is documented in the Setup Guide for OpenOffice.org 2.0 on
page 26.

Installation manuals, setup guides, user guides, etc. for OpenOffice.org can be found he
http://documentation.openoffice.org/index.html

To view PDF files, you need the Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can download it he

NOTE 1: The project and software are informally referred to as "OpenOffice", but project organizers report
that this term is a trademark held by another party, requiring them to adopt "OpenOffice.org" as its formal
name (abbreviated as "OOo").

NOTE 2: OpenOffice.org is NOT developed or supported by Microsoft.

--
Please post all replies to the newsgroup for the benefit of others.
Requests for assistance by email will NOT be acknowledged!

"MEGTOM" wrote in message
i WAS GIVEN A DISK WITH A SPREEDSHEET THAT i NEED TO GET INTO MY COMPUTER.
THE COMPUTER POPED UP WITH THE FOLLOWING INFO.
EXCEL SPREADSHEET FILE
FILE EXTENTION;XLS
DESCRIPTION; IST A SPREADSHEESOTFWARE AVAILABLE AT;MICROSOFT EXCEL

HOW CAN I TRANSFER THIS DISK INTO MY COMPUTER.I HAVE A DELL WITH MICROSOFT
WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION.

THANKS
MEGTOM

MEGTOM

TIMothy L thanks for the information as you can tell from using all caps Im
new to the computer lingo sorry. Your information is what I was looking for I
want to use the diskinfo so I can set up the same spreadsheet and change the
numbers every month.Its for our golf tournaments.You had the best info-but
its way over my head,its like me playing with Tiger for all the marbles.
Thanks Tom G.

"Timothy L" wrote:

First off, don't use all caps. UPPER CASE LOOKS AS IF YOU'RE SHOUTING.

http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...TipsForPosting

Your question asks about copying the .xls file from the disk (I'm assuming floppy disk) you were given to your
computer's hard drive.

To do this, insert the floppy disk into the floppy drive.
From the desktop, double-click "My Computer" and then double-click on "3½ Floppy (A:)".
Right-click on the file you wish to copy (in this case, the file ending in .xls) and click on "Copy".
Close or minimize that window.
From the desktop, double-click "My Computer" and then double-click on "My Documents".