Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I set up a random name generator in excel (school use)

I am a high school teacher and would like to use a random name generator for
calling on students. Any guidance on how to set one up? I read an article in
which the author stated a friend wrote an excel formula for doing this - but
no further info.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I set up a random name generator in excel (school use)

Sure, I can help you set up a random name generator in Excel for your classroom use. Here are the steps:
  1. First, create a list of all your students' names in a column in Excel. You can add or remove names from this list as needed.
  2. Next, in a blank cell, enter the following formula:
    Code:
    =INDEX(A:A,RANDBETWEEN(1,COUNTA(A:A)))
  3. This formula uses the
    Code:
    and
    Code:
    RANDBETWEEN
    functions to randomly select a name from your list of students. The
    Code:
    COUNTA
    function counts the number of names in your list, and the
    Code:
    RANDBETWEEN
    function generates a random number between 1 and the total number of names in your list. The
    Code:
    function then returns the name corresponding to that random number.
  4. Once you've entered the formula, press Enter to see the randomly selected name. You can copy and paste this formula into as many cells as you need to generate multiple random names.
  5. To make it easier to use, you can assign this formula to a button or shortcut key. To do this, go to the Developer tab in Excel (if you don't see this tab, you may need to enable it in Excel's options). Click on the "Insert" dropdown and select "Button" under the "Form Controls" section. Draw the button on your worksheet and then right-click on it and select "Assign Macro". In the macro dialog box, enter a name for your macro (e.g. "RandomNameGenerator") and then click "New". In the Visual Basic Editor, enter the formula from step 2 into the macro code and save it. Now, whenever you click the button, the macro will generate a random name.

That's it! You now have a random name generator in Excel that you can use for calling on students in your classroom. Let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One way is to put the names in column A (say A1:A30) and put =rand() in B1:B30.

Then sort those two columns using column B as the primary key.

And pick off the top x number of names.

If you want, you can resort again to randomize the list.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here's another one.

Say you have 20 students. List their names in A1:A20. To randomly pick a
single student:

=INDEX(A1:A20,INT(RAND()*20+1))

Repeats are possible. To make another pick just hit function key F9. A new
pick will be made every time a calculation takes place.

Biff

"mochapo" wrote in message
I am a high school teacher and would like to use a random name generator
for
calling on students. Any guidance on how to set one up? I read an article
in
which the author stated a friend wrote an excel formula for doing this -
but
no further info.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here is a modification of that approach. Just as Dave advised:
One way is to put the names in column A (say A1:A30) and put =rand() in
B1:B30.

But Rather than sorting, you could put a formula in column C

In C1 put:

=INDEX($A$1:$A$30,RANK(B1,$B$1:$B$30),1)

then drag fill it down to row 30. Now you will have a random list of
students. You hit F9 to get a new list

So you could hit F9 each time you want to ask a question and use the top
name (hit it again if it duplicates the last value)

or hit it once and work your way through that list. Note that if the sheet
calculates, the list will be changed, so you might want to Set Calculation
to manual (in tools=Options) if you will be working through the list.

Tom Ogilvy

mochapo wrote:

I am a high school teacher and would like to use a random name generator
for
calling on students. Any guidance on how to set one up? I read an
article in
which the author stated a friend wrote an excel formula for doing this -
but
no further info.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Let's says you have 30 student names from A1:A30

B2 =INDEX($A$1:$A$30,RANDBETWEEN(1,30))

Require Analysis ToolPak Add-Ins