chris_manning

Default VLOOKUP Limitations

Hi all-

I'm having a problem with the VLookup function. I have an excel file
which automatically fills out several fields in a row when a certain
cell from that row is filled. The 'key' off of which the other fields
key is filled via a drop-down data validation list. The 'subjugate'
cells then are filled with values using the VLookup function. All of
this works to this point. However, I also use the VLookup function in
the coding for the sheet in order to automatically hyperlink some other
relevant data. Some of the choices from the dropdown menu give me an
error, specifically:

Run-time erro '1004':
Unable to get the VLookup property of the WorksheetFunction class

What is perplexing is that only certain choices result in this error,
whilst others work exactly in the method they are supposed to, the
VLOOKUP Formulas in the cells always 'grab' the correct text
information. Other choices from the cell have the right text displayed,
but an incorrect hyperlink. If it makes any difference, the locations of
the data from the list are formatted as 'General' text, and while some
of the choices are only numbers, some of them are numbers AND letters,
and it seems to be predominantly the selections that contain numbers
and letters that have error issues. (For example, a selection of '115'
from the list results in a correct listing of text display in the
'subjugate' cells as well as correct hyperlinks, whereas a selection of
'1035Zn' results in a 1004 error) Is this an artifact of the inherant
nature of the VLOOKUP function itself, or is it something that I'm
doing wrong?

Here is the code:
If Target.Row = 2 Then
Cells(3, Target.Column).Select
ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=Selection, Address:="",
SubAddress:=WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Cells(2, Target.Column),
Range("A131:C200"), 3)
Cells(2, Target.Column).Select
Cells(6, Target.Column).Select
ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=Selection, Address:="",
SubAddress:=WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Cells(2, Target.Column),
Range("A131:G200"), 7)
Cells(2, Target.Column).Select
Cells(4, Target.Column).Select
ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=Selection,
Address:=WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Cells(2, Target.Column),
Range("A131:H200"), 8)
Cells(2, Target.Column).Select
Cells(5, Target.Column).Select
ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=Selection,
Address:=WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Cells(2, Target.Column),
Range("A131:H200"), 8)
Cells(2, Target.Column).Select

Thanks in advance for the help.

--
chris_manning
chris_manning's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23986

bpeltzer

For starters, I'd try adding a fourth argument to your lookup functions:
,FALSE (ex: vlookup(a2,Sheet2!b:c,2,false) ).
Without that, you're getting a 'range' lookup instead of requiring an exact
match. That would result in #N/A being returned if your key value is 'less
than' the first entry in your table. If your table isn't sorted, it would
also explain incorrect values being returned.

"chris_manning" wrote:

[...]

chris_manning

Jeez-
I knew it would be some stupid detail that I forgot. I had listed the
'FALSE' argument in the formulas that were in the cells, so that is why
it worked for the values, but not for the hyperlinks. Thanks a ton, that
seems to have cleared up the problems in total.

Chris