Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default formula to calculate number of hours worked in a day

I am trying to put together a time sheet, where I can put my time in and out,
and then give the total hours at the end of the day. For example, I sum (12
pm -8 am) + (5 pm -1 pm). I have formatted these cells to show time. But my
formula spits out a sub zero number. Do I need to divide these by 24?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Format cells as hh:mm and Total cell as [h]:mm: the latter will stop Excel
subtracting 24 from the total if it is 24

Start time in A1 and Finish Time in B1

in C1: =MOD(B1-A1,1)

This will allow for times running over midnight

If this doesn't ever happen then =(B1-A1) will suffice

Assuming times are in rows 1 to 7 , then in C8: =SUM(C1:C7)

C8 formatted as [h]:mm

HTH

"xololady" wrote:

I am trying to put together a time sheet, where I can put my time in and out,
and then give the total hours at the end of the day. For example, I sum (12
pm -8 am) + (5 pm -1 pm). I have formatted these cells to show time. But my
formula spits out a sub zero number. Do I need to divide these by 24?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want to get decimal hours, rather than Excel time format, divide by
24 and format as General or Number.

But the answer is 8 hours, not a sub-zero number. You may need to check
that all your data are times, not text. Temporarily format the four input
cells as number, rather than time, and then you should see them all change
to decimals of a day. If they don't all change to decimals of a day, there
may be spare spaces or non-printing characters which are keeping them as
text.
--
David Biddulph

"xololady" wrote in message
I am trying to put together a time sheet, where I can put my time in and
out,
and then give the total hours at the end of the day. For example, I sum
(12
pm -8 am) + (5 pm -1 pm). I have formatted these cells to show time. But
my
formula spits out a sub zero number. Do I need to divide these by 24?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OK< Next question. When I total the hours at the bottom, I want to take that
total and multiply by an hourly wage, such as $8. I got 10 hours for a sum,
but when I multiplied it by 8, I got $3.33.

"xololady" wrote:

I am trying to put together a time sheet, where I can put my time in and out,
and then give the total hours at the end of the day. For example, I sum (12
pm -8 am) + (5 pm -1 pm). I have formatted these cells to show time. But my
formula spits out a sub zero number. Do I need to divide these by 24?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I got the hours to do what I want. Now I am trying to calculate wages
earned. So I add the total hours by $8. I got 10 hours times $8 and it gave
me $3.33. The hours are formated as time and the total hours is formated as
time. I calculated the pay cell cell as currency.

"xololady" wrote in message
I am trying to put together a time sheet, where I can put my time in and
out,
and then give the total hours at the end of the day. For example, I sum
(12
pm -8 am) + (5 pm -1 pm). I have formatted these cells to show time. But
my
formula spits out a sub zero number. Do I need to divide these by 24?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want to convert Excel times (which are counted in days) into hours,
then you need to multiply by 24. Your 10 hours, if still an Excel time, is
stored as 10/24, so when you multiply by 8 you get 3.33.
--
David Biddulph

"xololady" wrote:

I am trying to put together a time sheet, where I can put my time in
and out,
and then give the total hours at the end of the day. For example, I
sum (12
pm -8 am) + (5 pm -1 pm). I have formatted these cells to show time.
But my
formula spits out a sub zero number. Do I need to divide these by
24?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If total hours in C8 (as per my posting), then in D8:

=C8*24*8 and format as NUMBER (or Currency)

If you want total hours to be decimal number:

in C8: =SUM(C1:C7)*24 and format as NUMBER

in D8: =C8*8

(As per David's replies)

HTH