Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Convert Array Formulas to Regular Formulas

I have a workbook that is linked to a query from another (legacy)
application. I have formulas that do further calculations with the query
results. Everything worked fine in Excel 2003. However, I recently upgraded
to Excel 2007 and now, all of the formulas that work on the results of the
query turn into ARRAY formulas (and they should just be regular formulas).
I've given up trying to figure out what is causing the issue as the legacy
application is no longer supported. I just want to write a macro to fix all
of the formulas and convert them back into regular formulas. I've tried doing
a find and replace for the "{" and "}" characters in the array formulas, but
Excel never finds anything to replace (I assume the physical characters
aren't really there).

Any suggestions on how I could convert all array formulas on a worksheet to
standard formulas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

STEP 1: MOST IMPORTANT -- make a copy of the troublesome workbook and test
this in the copy, not the original!

Using the copy of the workbook, put this code into a regular code module and
run it. It may take a while depending on the number of sheets in the
workbook and the number of cells used on each one, because it's going to
examine every cell on every sheet that was ever used!

Here's the code: to put it into the workbook, open the workbook, then press
[Alt]+[F11] to enter the VB Editor (VBE). Copy and paste the code into the
module. At that point you can actually place the cursor anywhere within the
code and just press the [F5] key to run it right then and there.

Sub KillArrayFormulas()
Dim anySheet As Worksheet
Dim sheetUsedRange As Range
Dim anyCell As Range

For Each anySheet In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
Set sheetUsedRange = anySheet.UsedRange
For Each anyCell In sheetUsedRange
If anyCell.HasFormula Then
anyCell.Formula = anyCell.Formula
End If
Next
Next
'some housekeeping
Set sheetUsedRange = Nothing
Set anySheet=Nothing
MsgBox"Formula Rewrites Completed"
End Sub

"Domenick" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I meant to confirm that the {} you are seeing in array formulas are placed
there by Excel. They are placed there when you commit a formula using
[Ctrl]+[Shift]+[Enter] rather than by the normal [Enter] key. So you're
right, in a fashion they don't really exist; kind of like the $ symbol when
you format a cell as currency - you didn't put it there, Excel did.

Any editing of an array formula requires that you again commit it by using
the 3-key combination, but if you just hit [Enter] it turns into a non-array
formula.

"Domenick" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I see what you mean to do, but when I run your code, I get "Error 1004: You
cannot change part of an array."

Any ideas how to work around this?

-Dom

"Domenick" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

When I manually correct these spreadsheets, I have to select all the cells
that have the array formulas and DELETE them before I can go ahead and paste
in the regular formulas from another workbook. Is there some way to modify
your code to do this so that I don't get the "Cannot change part of an array"
error?

Thanks.

"Domenick" wrote:

[...]

Junior Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLatham View Post
[...]

Hey!

I would need the opposite of this but cant seem to figure out how that could be done. I have a huge range and need to convert all the formulas to array formulas to get the desire results there.

Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I have a sample excel file which contains a lot of array formulas which has made the spreadsheet extremely slow. Is there a way to remove the array formulas from SHEET 1 convert them into normal formulas and still achieve the same result ?

If any one of can please help with it ?

The formulas which I want to convert are :

=IFERROR(INDEX(Detail!A3:A$1500,MATCH("Old Stock Issue",Detail!P3:P$1500,0)),"")

=IFERROR(INDEX($B$2:$B$1500,MATCH(0,INDEX(COUNTIF( $D$1:D1,$B$2:$B$1500),0,0),0)),"")

=IFERROR(INDEX(Detail!A3:A$1500,MATCH(TRUE,ISBLANK (Detail!P3:P$1500),0)),"")

=IFERROR(INDEX($F$2:$F$1500,MATCH(0,INDEX(COUNTIF( $G$1:G1,$F$2:$F$1500),0,0),0)),"")

=INDEX($G$2:$G$1500,SMALL(IF(H$2:H$1500=$K21,ROW($ G$2:$G$1500)-ROW($G$2)+1),COUNTIF($K$2:$K21,$K21)))

Many Thanks,
Biswajit