Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default keyboard shortcut for dates and Time

Hi All

I know the keyboard short cut for date (Ctrl ;) and for time (ctrl shift ;)

Is there a short cut to enter date and time together

Equally is there a shortcut to enter the time in hh, mins and seconds
(reading from the computers clock)? when I use ctrl shift and ; it just does
hh and mm (even if set to hh mm and seconds

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers Rexmann

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi rexmann

Dont think there are any shortcuts other than the ones you mentioned. To
enter date and time together in a cell you can (Ctrl ;) followed by a space
followed by (ctrl shift ;)

The other shortcuts around date and time are

CTRL+SHIFT+# which apply the date format with the day, month, and year &
CTRL+SHIFT+@ which apply the time format with the hour and minute, and AM or
PM.

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"rexmann" wrote:

Hi All

I know the keyboard short cut for date (Ctrl ;) and for time (ctrl shift ;)

Is there a short cut to enter date and time together

Equally is there a shortcut to enter the time in hh, mins and seconds
(reading from the computers clock)? when I use ctrl shift and ; it just does
hh and mm (even if set to hh mm and seconds

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers Rexmann

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could use:
ctrl-;, spacebar, ctrl-:

You could use a macro to enter the time including seconds.

Saved from a previous post:

I've added a macro to my personal.xl* file that steals the ctrl-shift-colon
function and replaces it with what I want.

If you want to try, create a workbook that includes this code and store it in
your XLStart folder. Lots of people use a workbook named Personal.xls for this
kind of thing.

Option Explicit
Sub Auto_Open()
Application.OnKey "+^:", "'" & ThisWorkbook.Name & "'!Nowtime"
End Sub
Sub Auto_Close()
Application.OnKey "+^:"
End Sub
Sub NowTime()
On Error Resume Next
With Selection
.Value = Now
.NumberFormat = "hh:mm:ss"
End With
If Err.Number < 0 Then
Beep
Err.Clear
End If
On Error Goto 0
End Sub

If you're new to macros:

Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to implement macros he
http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html

David McRitchie has an intro to macros:

Ron de Bruin's intro to macros:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

(General, Regular and Standard modules all describe the same thing.)

========
And for xl2007, you'd use an extension of .xlsm (personal.xlsm or personal.xlam
for an addin).

--

Dave Peterson