Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Excel 2007 Charting Slow:

I have a problem with Excel 2007 loading a chart in a spreadsheet that was
created in Excel 2003. It takes forever to display the chart. A very
helpful Microsoft rep told me this is a known issue with Excel when one or
more axis settings are Fixed rather than Auto. Changing axis settings to
Auto restores performance but only until you go back to fixed. At least
there's a workaround for now but there is apparently a patch available from
MS. KB938538 is related to the problem but I can find no reference to it.

1. Is anyone else having this problem?
2. Has anyone got the patch and applied it?

Just looking for some more info.

Thank You
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

1. Is anyone else having this problem?

Everyone else is having this problem.

2. Has anyone got the patch and applied it?

I know this problem is high in the consciousness of Microsoft, but I hadn't
heard of a patch. I'll follow up on the KB number you posted.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"cnuk" wrote in message
I have a problem with Excel 2007 loading a chart in a spreadsheet that was
created in Excel 2003. It takes forever to display the chart. A very
helpful Microsoft rep told me this is a known issue with Excel when one or
more axis settings are Fixed rather than Auto. Changing axis settings to
Auto restores performance but only until you go back to fixed. At least
there's a workaround for now but there is apparently a patch available
from
MS. KB938538 is related to the problem but I can find no reference to it.

1. Is anyone else having this problem?
2. Has anyone got the patch and applied it?

Just looking for some more info.

Thank You

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I would also like to thank cnuk for de advice, because it also makes the
charts a lot faster in my spreadsheets. Sadly though it means that I have to
live with the auto axis settings and the gap it makes between the line and
frame in xy-charts. But at least my Excel don't crash now.

"cnuk" wrote:

I have a problem with Excel 2007 loading a chart in a spreadsheet that was
created in Excel 2003. It takes forever to display the chart. A very
helpful Microsoft rep told me this is a known issue with Excel when one or
more axis settings are Fixed rather than Auto. Changing axis settings to
Auto restores performance but only until you go back to fixed. At least
there's a workaround for now but there is apparently a patch available from
MS. KB938538 is related to the problem but I can find no reference to it.

1. Is anyone else having this problem?
2. Has anyone got the patch and applied it?

Just looking for some more info.

Thank You

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Microsoft has issued a hotfix that helps this problem somewhat:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938538

Call the phone number, and for no charge, they will email you a link to the
download file.

- Jon
-------