ExcelFred

Default Formatting result of Index function

Hello,

I am using an Index formula to return translations set in defined cells.
I would like to highlight and hyperlink only given words returned by the
Index formula...and for the moment I do not manage to do it.
I have just access to formatting of the whole cell where index formula is
embedded.
The text to be returned by the indexed function is formatted as I want, but
the index formula just returns the value without taking care of the
formatting.

Can anyone give me a hand on this?

Thanks

ExcelFred

What do you mean by "Your format here"?
here is my formula =INDEX(Language!$D$6:$K$1231,17,$B$10)
in line 17 of array, column "B10.value" is the text I want to display with
the correct formatting ie sme words in the text are in red bold.

Following your advice, what should I do?
Define line 17 of array, column "B10.value" as text and on the calling cell
enter :
=TEXT(INDEX(Language!$D$6:$K$1231,17,$B$10),"what here")

Can you provide me with step by step instructions?

"ExcelFred" wrote in message
Hello,

I am using an Index formula to return translations set in defined cells.
I would like to highlight and hyperlink only given words returned by the
Index formula...and for the moment I do not manage to do it.
I have just access to formatting of the whole cell where index formula is
embedded.
The text to be returned by the indexed function is formatted as I want,

but
the index formula just returns the value without taking care of the
formatting.

Can anyone give me a hand on this?

Thanks

Bob Phillips

I was referring to returning your result in a format, such as #,##0.00 or
$0. I don't think you will get some red text in there, you would need to run
code on that.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"ExcelFred" wrote in message
Hello,

I am using an Index formula to return translations set in defined

cells.
I would like to highlight and hyperlink only given words returned by

the
Index formula...and for the moment I do not manage to do it.
I have just access to formatting of the whole cell where index formula

is
embedded.
The text to be returned by the indexed function is formatted as I

want,
but
the index formula just returns the value without taking care of the
formatting.

Can anyone give me a hand on this?

Thanks

ExcelFred

Well ok, that was my fear.
And I may be tricky as text todisplay in specific color and format are not
always at the same place.
Should I build a private function, an advanced Index function which does not
only returns value of the answer cell but also copy the formatting in full of
that answer cell and apply it to the cell embedding the Index function?
Is it possible to do so?

"ExcelFred" wrote in message
Hello,

I am using an Index formula to return translations set in defined

cells.
I would like to highlight and hyperlink only given words returned by

the
Index formula...and for the moment I do not manage to do it.
I have just access to formatting of the whole cell where index formula

is
embedded.
The text to be returned by the indexed function is formatted as I

want,
but
the index formula just returns the value without taking care of the
formatting.

Can anyone give me a hand on this?

Thanks

Bob Phillips

It's always possible if you have the desire. You cannot build a UDF to
format a cell, it just doesn't work. You either have a sub that goes around
afterwards and picks off the text and highlights it according to your rules,
or you use worksheet change event to monitor a cell, and then setup another
cell, including highlighted values.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"ExcelFred" wrote in message
Hello,

I am using an Index formula to return translations set in defined

cells.
I would like to highlight and hyperlink only given words returned

by
the
Index formula...and for the moment I do not manage to do it.
I have just access to formatting of the whole cell where index

formula
is
embedded.
The text to be returned by the indexed function is formatted as I

want,
but
the index formula just returns the value without taking care of

the
formatting.

Can anyone give me a hand on this?

Thanks

Passing a range name as an argument to the Index Function Michael Sharpe Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 September 5th 12 01:33 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
SEARCH function #VALUE! result Mike Boerne Excel Worksheet Functions 3 January 5th 05 08:53 PM
Naming column in Index Function mlkpied Excel Worksheet Functions 3 December 7th 04 12:20 AM