eenstudent

Default Macro help???

I have a formula I want to place in exactly every other (vertical)
cell. Is there a simple way to skip every other row without copying and
pasting (I have to enter some 8000 data points!!).

Thanks in advance,

eenstudent

--
eenstudent
eenstudent's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25192

ExcelGirl

Hello eenstudent,

Say you have a column of 8000 numbers in column A.

What you want to do is add one to every other number and display that
sum in column B.

In B1 enter, = A1 + 1. And leave B2 blank.

Select range B1 to B2 and copy it. Then select range B3 to B8000 and
paste.

I think the only trick is to be sure the range you select for pasting
has an even number of cells. Try it with an odd number of cells
selected, and I think you'll find the paste fills only the first two
cells.

ExcelGirl

--
ExcelGirl
ExcelGirl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25272

Anne Troy

That's why skipping rows is a very bad layout. You should reconsider
deleting all the blank rows first by selecting a column that always has data
in it. Then hit Edit--Go to--Special--Blanks. Then hit Edit--Delete and
tell it "entire row". Then, you can make the row height higher instead of
using extra rows for spacing.

However, if you must, put the formula in 3 of the cells. Select those 3
cells, plus one blank cell beneath each of them. Then copy down. It should
copy the formulas only to the appropriate ones and the blanks to the
appropriate ones.
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"eenstudent" wrote