neominds

Default Concatenating Functions

I have three (3) worksheets within a single workbook and am attempting
to concatenate some fieilds from the first two (2) sheets and place
them into the third sheet.

This is what I have:

WorkSheet1
- NamedField1
- NamedField2
WorkSheet2
- NamedField1
- NamedField2
WorkSheet3

Within the first two sheets I have some fields that are named the same.
In the third sheet I have to build my formula based upon some of the
values within it which results in referrencing the necessary WorkSheet
and Namedfield. In other words I am trying to build something like this
in worksheet #3.

=concatenate("='",A8,"'!NamedField",B2)

A8 is a field within worksheet #3 with an actual value of WorkSheet1 or
WorkSheet2.

B2 is a field within worksheet #3 with an actual value range of 1-24.

So the final result should be something like:

='WorkSheet1'!NamedField1

or

='WorkSheet1'!NamedField2

And it would then display the particular value that is within the
referenced field(s).

However, when I do use the =concatenate("='",A8,"'!NamedField",B2) I
only get the concatenated result ='WorkSheet1'!NamedField2 and not the
referenced field value.

Anyone out there able to assist me with this?

Thanks in advance!!!

Michael

--
neominds
neominds's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25204

JE McGimpsey

One way:

=INDIRECT("'" & A8 & "'!NamedField" & B2)

In article ,
neominds
wrote:

[...]

besbaum

Don't put "quotes" around your named fields -- it thinks they're text.

Your concatenate formula should work fine. You may need to add spaces
" " to get it to read right . . .

--
besbaum
besbaum's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25208