Joe

Default Cell Refences

I have a question?
When you are making a cell with a formula the references are set. But when
you copy the cell each cell reference changes relative to the position the
new cell is. My question is, is it possible to have to cell references stay
the same in all cells when i copy and the other cell reference change
relative to the new cell. I am wondering so that i dont have to change the 2
cell referance in all the new cells cells.
I am sorry if this question is hard to understand b/c i am having a hard
time explaning so here is an example.

Here is cell G5: =IF(C15=G14,+E15,0)
If I copy to cell H5 i get this: =IF(D15=H14,+F15,0)
But I want H5 to equal: =IF(C15=H14,+E15,0)

Can someone please help.
Thanks,
~Joe
David McRitchie

Hi Joe,
Look up Absolute and Relative references in HELP.

With the short example you gave this may be what you want, it will
fill across as you asked for, but you example does not show copying downward.

Use of Fill Handle
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm
---
HTH,

"Joe" wrote in message ...
I have a question?
When you are making a cell with a formula the references are set. But when
you copy the cell each cell reference changes relative to the position the
new cell is. My question is, is it possible to have to cell references stay
the same in all cells when i copy and the other cell reference change
relative to the new cell. I am wondering so that i dont have to change the 2
cell referance in all the new cells cells.
I am sorry if this question is hard to understand b/c i am having a hard
time explaning so here is an example.

Here is cell G5: =IF(C15=G14,+E15,0)
If I copy to cell H5 i get this: =IF(D15=H14,+F15,0)
But I want H5 to equal: =IF(C15=H14,+E15,0)

Can someone please help.
Thanks,
~Joe

RagDyer

Lookup absolute and relative cell references in the Help files.

Also check out these links:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/relative.htm

HTH,

RD

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

jrosenb2

Hi Joe-

I think that you have been directed correctly, and your final response
indicates that you have solved your problem, but I thought that maybe this
could clarify for you or anyone else who might be looking through he

In order make a reference absolute, put a $ in front of the reference.
For example:

You want your reference in G5 copied to cell H5. You want the "C15" to
remain constant in both cells, in other words, you want to make C15 an
absolute reference. You must do this in two parts: 1) Make the column
reference absolute and 2) make the row reference absolute.

To make the column reference absolute, insert $ before the C, so that you
have displayed =$C15. To then make the row reference absolute, insert a $
before the 15, so that you have displayed =$C$15. You can mix and match
absolute and relative columns and rows, so that it is conceivable to have the
reference "=C$15" or "=$C15." But remember, unless the dollar sign is in
front of the portion of the cell address that you want to remain absolute,
Excel will automatically add/substract the distance of the copied cell to the
orginal cell to the relative cell reference, so that one row down, =$C15 will
be =$C16 or =C15 will be C16. I hope this makes sense for anyone else
looking for help in here.

"Joe" wrote:

I have a question?
When you are making a cell with a formula the references are set. But when
you copy the cell each cell reference changes relative to the position the
new cell is. My question is, is it possible to have to cell references stay
the same in all cells when i copy and the other cell reference change
relative to the new cell. I am wondering so that i dont have to change the 2
cell referance in all the new cells cells.
I am sorry if this question is hard to understand b/c i am having a hard
time explaning so here is an example.

Here is cell G5: =IF(C15=G14,+E15,0)
If I copy to cell H5 i get this: =IF(D15=H14,+F15,0)
But I want H5 to equal: =IF(C15=H14,+E15,0)

Can someone please help.
Thanks,
~Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am a software instuctor and we do this very exercise in an Excel Class.

I know your question was answered, but here is a quick step by step:

1. Click in the cell containing the formula to be copied.
2. Select the contents of the FORMULA BAR. NOT the cell itself!!!
3. Press ENTER. You MUST press ENTER.
4. Click in the cell in which you want to copy the formula.
5. Paste the formula in the FORMULA BAR. NOT the cell itself!!!
6. Press ENTER. You MUST press ENTER.

Hope this helps. I know the original post is 2 years old, but maybe someone
will look this up and find it helpful.