Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default What Formula to use?

"Paul Chung" wrote in message news:...
MIN and MAX are the values from Cells D1-D9. I need to show the value that
is in Cells A1-A9. However note that the Max could be either 3 or 6 in the
example so we nee a rule to make sure it goes to the highest such as 6 in
the example....Paul

"Bernard Liengme" wrote in message
Unclear! What is the meaning of THEN in "So Min is equal to 1 and then
Max would default to 6 instead of 3"

If you just want to know that the largest A value for the Max in D, then
I think we need to use VBA
Is this what is needed?
best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Paul Chung" wrote in message
Hello everyone, I'm trying to figure out how to have excell show me a
number based on the value of another cell. Here is the cell info:
1 1.0 0.999 0.99900 MAX 1.00067
2 2.0 2.000 1.00000 MIN 0.99900
3 3.0 3.002 1.00067
4 4.0 4.000 1.00000
5 5.0 5.002 1.00040
6 6.0 6.004 1.00067
7 7.0 7.001 1.00014
8 8.0 8.000 1.00000
9 9.0 8.998 0.99978

I need to show that the Min and Max values is equal to the value in the
first colum. However the valus if identical woul alwys go to the highest
number. So Min is equal to 1 and then Max would default to 6 instead of
3 . Any help would be great.Thanks...Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm sorry, Paul, but this is unclear in many ways, not just the one Bernard
outlined. You've gotta learn how to write what you're trying to say. Here
are some specifics:

"I need to show that the Min and Max values is equal to the value in the
first colum" - seems to me that if the ARE equal to the value in the first
column, then showing it wouldn't be a problem. But in the data you show
below, the MAX value is 1.00067 and the value in the first column is 1; and
in the next row, the MIN value is 0.99900 and the value in the first column
is 2. They aren't equal, so you're not going to be able to show they are. I
realize this isn't what you meant, but it's what you said.

"However the valus if identical woul alwys go to the highest number." I'm
not sure how a value would "go to" a number, but in this case, if the values
are identical then NONE of them are the highest; that's what "identical"
means. Again, I know you didn't mean to say this...but what DID you mean?

"So Min is equal to 1 and then Max would default to 6 instead of 3" - How
can a max value "default" to anything? You want Excel to calculate which
number is highest, right? What can the concept of "default" mean in such a
calculation? The highest value in column one is neither 3 nor 6, but 9.

--- "Paul Chung" wrote:
MIN and MAX are the values from Cells D1-D9. I need to show the value that
is in Cells A1-A9. However note that the Max could be either 3 or 6 in the
example so we nee a rule to make sure it goes to the highest such as 6 in
the example....Paul

--- "Bernard Liengme" :
Unclear! What is the meaning of THEN in "So Min is equal to 1 and then
Max would default to 6 instead of 3"

If you just want to know that the largest A value for the Max in D, then
I think we need to use VBA

--- "Paul Chung" :
I'm trying to figure out how to have excell show me a
number based on the value of another cell. Here is the cell info:

1 1.0 0.999 0.99900 MAX 1.00067
2 2.0 2.000 1.00000 MIN 0.99900
3 3.0 3.002 1.00067
4 4.0 4.000 1.00000
5 5.0 5.002 1.00040
6 6.0 6.004 1.00067
7 7.0 7.001 1.00014
8 8.0 8.000 1.00000
9 9.0 8.998 0.99978

I need to show that the Min and Max values is equal to the value in the
first colum. However the valus if identical woul alwys go to the highest
number. So Min is equal to 1 and then Max would default to 6 instead of
3 .

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bob, You are correct. I'll try to make it clearer. What I'm trying to do is
show the value of another cell but run into two problems in trying to
accomplish this. Let's start from the beginning. Column A is my Dial 0
through 9. Column B is my value assigned Nominal. Column C is the values I
read when testing my switch. Column D is =SUM(C/B) values. First, I need to
get my the MIN and MAX formula to show the values so I create F and use the
formula's: =MAX(D7:D15) and =MIN(D7:D15). However, if the values are the
same in Column D, I need to show the cell with the higher of the two numbers
that's the first problem.
The next problem would have me show the values in Column F as a number
associated to my switch setting in Column A. So for example my MAX in F of
1.00067 could be switch setting 3 or 6 in column A. I want to show the
higher number, and place that value in the cell next to it. I hope this
gets my point across better and thanks again for any assistance you and
Bernard can provide....Paul

--- "Paul Chung" wrote:
MIN and MAX are the values from Cells D1-D9. I need to show the value
that
is in Cells A1-A9. However note that the Max could be either 3 or 6 in
the
example so we nee a rule to make sure it goes to the highest such as 6
in
the example....Paul

--- "Bernard Liengme" :
Unclear! What is the meaning of THEN in "So Min is equal to 1 and then
Max would default to 6 instead of 3"

If you just want to know that the largest A value for the Max in D,
then
I think we need to use VBA

--- "Paul Chung" :
I'm trying to figure out how to have excell show me a
number based on the value of another cell. Here is the cell info:
A B C D E F