Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default A mathematical formula question???

I have put the following formula in a cell which gives me the result
following. The question I have is if there are multiple rows is there a way
that I can add the results give to come up with the total number of years
months days?

What this is for is the people that have retired. The result of 39 years
etc. is how much time they have with the company. I'd like the spreadsheet
to also total the grand total amount of years months days for an announcement
at the retirement function.

=DATEDIF(B2,C2,"y") & " years, " & DATEDIF(B2,C2,"ym") & " months, " &
DATEDIF(B2,C2,"md") & " days"

39 years, 1 months, 30 days

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think that you will find that if you sum the years, months and days then
the result will never be totally accurate because you would need to take into
account the month of the year each of the individuals commenced and finished
so that you know how many days the months represent because of the differing
number of days in the months. Of course for the individual the result you
have is accurate but it will not be accurate when you start to sum them.

I think that you will be better to simply create a column where you find the
Datedif in days (or simply subtract the start date from finish date) for the
individuals and format the cell to numeric. You can then sum the numeric days
and divide by 365.25 and I am sure that the result in years and decimals will
suffice for your needs.

OssieMac

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=DATEDIF(SUM(B2:B999),SUM(C2:C999),"y") & " years, " &
DATEDIF(SUM(B2:B999),SUM(C2:C999),"ym") & " months, " &
DATEDIF(SUM(B2:B999),SUM(C2:C999),"md") & " days"
--
David Biddulph

Rameris wrote:
I have put the following formula in a cell which gives me the result
following. The question I have is if there are multiple rows is
there a way that I can add the results give to come up with the total
number of years months days?

What this is for is the people that have retired. The result of 39
years etc. is how much time they have with the company. I'd like the
spreadsheet to also total the grand total amount of years months days
for an announcement at the retirement function.

=DATEDIF(B2,C2,"y") & " years, " & DATEDIF(B2,C2,"ym") & " months, " &
DATEDIF(B2,C2,"md") & " days"

39 years, 1 months, 30 days

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you David. It appears to have carried forward the same calculation for
all.

I makes sense to do it as a group and not total the columns