Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula to automatically show running total

Newbie hates to ask but I'm stuck in a rut. I am trying to automatically
show a running total in column F for all additional amounts listed in column
E when I click in Column F.
Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sun, 17 May 2009 07:36:01 -0700, TexArty
wrote:

Newbie hates to ask but I'm stuck in a rut. I am trying to automatically
show a running total in column F for all additional amounts listed in column
E when I click in Column F.
Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Click on column E (be sure it is E, the one you want to know about).
Then look carefully at the data at the bottom of the spreadsheet window.

You should see totals there already for you. Other data as well.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Your question is not too clear!

If you want a single cell, say F1, to display the present total of values in
Column E,
enter this in F1:
=Sum(E:E)

If you want Column F to display the totals in Column E, row by row,
enter this in F1:
=Sum(E$1:E1)
and copy down as needed.

If you *don't* want to see the totals duplicated down Column F,
where Column E is empty,
enter this in F1:
=IF(E1="","",SUM(E$1:E1))
and copy down as needed.

The above 2 formulas are *very* XL resource intensive, so don't use them in
excess of a thousand rows or so.

Post back if I misunderstood your question, or you need a *large* range to
be calculated.
--
HTH,

RD