Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Resorting nightmare

I have this spreadsheet i need to turn into a txt file for an database
uploader. It Looks like this;
Alpha Number ID Account1 amt account2 amt account3 amt
What I need is this;
Alpha Number ID Account1 amt
Alpha Number ID Account2 amt
Alpha Number ID Account3 amt
What i thought was the obvious solution isn't working. I was wondering if
anyone has done a macro that might untangle this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

If I understand this correctly, you have the first two columns , then account
1 + amt , account 2 + amt, etc. How long is your data?
you could copy a1:d99 assuming you have 99 lines which would get the first
set, then copy a1:b99 to a100, then e1:f99 to c100 which would get the 2nd
account
etc

you would end up with 3X the number of lines then you could sort by alpha
number. To keep track , I think I would have the first column tell me if it
was for account 1 or account 2 or account 3

you could do this with VB, but depends how much data and how slick you want it

good luck

"KWhamill" wrote:

I have this spreadsheet i need to turn into a txt file for an database
uploader. It Looks like this;
Alpha Number ID Account1 amt account2 amt account3 amt
What I need is this;
Alpha Number ID Account1 amt
Alpha Number ID Account2 amt
Alpha Number ID Account3 amt
What i thought was the obvious solution isn't working. I was wondering if
anyone has done a macro that might untangle this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Don,
thank you, i think you have the right idea. The number of lines is a problem
because it varies any where from 2 to about 90 and they fluctuate one or two
either way. there are several of these that need to be converted the same
way. I was thinking VB because I also have to add some columns as place
holders for the data uploader.