Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default data validation

hello
concerning data validation......
i have the following :

A B C
1 debit 4619 ......

what should i enter in order to say :
if A1=debit and B1=4619 allow only positive numbers in cell C1

THANKS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
gt gt is offline

Hi Pier

Go to excel help and enter this into the search box: "Prevent invalid data
entry in a worksheet" See if that helps.

cheers,
gt

"pierre" wrote:

hello
concerning data validation......
i have the following :

A B C
1 debit 4619 ......

what should i enter in order to say :
if A1=debit and B1=4619 allow only positive numbers in cell C1

THANKS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select cell C1
Goto DataValidation
AllowCustom
Formula:

=AND(A1="debit",B1=4619,COUNT(C1),C10)

Or, if 0 is a valid entry:

=AND(A1="debit",B1=4619,COUNT(C1),C1=0)

OK out

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"pierre" wrote in message
hello
concerning data validation......
i have the following :

A B C
1 debit 4619 ......

what should i enter in order to say :
if A1=debit and B1=4619 allow only positive numbers in cell C1

THANKS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

please...again with data validation
how to say...: allow any word which start with "R" in cell a1
: prevent any word which start with "d " in cell b1

THANK YOU SIR IN ADVANCE......
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My friend....

How about telling us what you really want the first time instead of changing
what you want after you get replies?

You have a habit of doing this.

I'll gladly help you as much as I can but I get "mad" when people don't ask
for what they really want. This always leads to a long and unnecessary sting
of follow-up replies. I spend *my time* answering the question as posted and
then it turns out that's not *REALLY* what they wanted! ARGH!

Now that I've "yelled" at you, please tell us what you *REALLY* want. Don't
use "make believe" scenarios!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"pierre" wrote in message
please...again with data validation
how to say...: allow any word which start with "R" in cell a1
: prevent any word which start with "d " in cell b1

THANK YOU SIR IN ADVANCE......

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

i am very sorry for this inconvinience,....

the second post i just sent wasnt in purpose to misslead you...sorry i
should have precised it better than this....it was another issue.
again for data validation :

1) how to say...: allow any word which start with letter "R" in cell a1

2) what to do in case i would like to prevent any word which start with
letter "d" to appear in cell B1

how to do that ?

SORRY AGAIN .......and please accept my apologies
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok, if these are separate conditions...

1)... allow any word which start with letter "R" in cell a1

Assuming that numbers are invalid:

=LEFT(A1)="R"

Now, this will allow entries of strings that start with "R" or only the
single letter "R". Is the single letter "R" a valid entry? If not, use this:

=AND(LEFT(A1)="R",LEN(A1)1)

2)... prevent any word which start with letter "d" to appear in cell B1

Assuming that numbers are invalid:

=AND(ISTEXT(B1),LEFT(B1)<"D")

--
Biff