Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lotus notes export to excel document

My Lotus notes form populates a number of cells in an excel form, however
there are other cells in excel that should not changed. My idea was to
protect the document to prevent others from changing those "forbidden" cells.

However, my Lotus programer informed me that since the document is protected
the data from lotus is also blocked from populating the excel sheet.
Is there another option to lock cells, without using PROTECT document?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Before protecting the Excel worksheet, you can unlock the cells you want to
populate.

FormatCellsProtection. Uncheck "locked".

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 08:47:10 -0700, Steve
wrote:

My Lotus notes form populates a number of cells in an excel form, however
there are other cells in excel that should not changed. My idea was to
protect the document to prevent others from changing those "forbidden" cells.

However, my Lotus programer informed me that since the document is protected
the data from lotus is also blocked from populating the excel sheet.
Is there another option to lock cells, without using PROTECT document?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord-
Thanks, I designed the spreadsheet to lock the cells that populate from
Lotus. The other cells that I want my users to populate are unlocked -but
appearently this won't work?!?!?!

I don't know if this is a LOTUS or an EXCEL limitation, but my programmer is
NOT an excel expert.

Thanks
Steve

wrote:

My Lotus notes form populates a number of cells in an excel form, however
there are other cells in excel that should not changed. My idea was to
protect the document to prevent others from changing those "forbidden" cells.

However, my Lotus programer informed me that since the document is protected
the data from lotus is also blocked from populating the excel sheet.
Is there another option to lock cells, without using PROTECT document?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With the sheet unprotected but cells set to locked and unlocked as appropriate.

Record a macro whilst importing the data.

After getting the code for the importing add a couple of lines at beginning and
end to unprotect the sheet then re-protect at end.

Sub import()
Sheets("Sheet1").Unprotect Password:="password"

your import code

Sheets("Sheet1").Protect Password:="password"

End Sub

If users disable macros, this will be defeated.

Gord