Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
TD TD is offline

Default comparing text values in two columns

Hi,

I would like to compare college grades but don't know how to start.

I have grades A-e in 2 columns B and C

Grades can be either e.g A or given as B/C.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could go about it

Many thanks
--
TD
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In D1 enter:

=IF(B1=C1,"they are the same","they are not the same") and copy down
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200790

"TD" wrote:

Hi,

I would like to compare college grades but don't know how to start.

I have grades A-e in 2 columns B and C

Grades can be either e.g A or given as B/C.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could go about it

Many thanks
--
TD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

see it

http://www.j-walk.com/SS/excel/usertips/tip073.htm

hth
--
regards from Brazil
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"TD" wrote:

Hi,

I would like to compare college grades but don't know how to start.

I have grades A-e in 2 columns B and C

Grades can be either e.g A or given as B/C.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could go about it

Many thanks
--
TD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
TD TD is offline

Hi Gary's Student,

Thanks for answering.

I've been thinking since I posted and what I need is to see if the values in
each column are exactly the same or if they are within 1 grade of each
other.. umm much more complicated but even more so because column B has some
split grades e.g D/E

I've got to repeat this through another 20 pair of columns so my temporary
fix of doing text to columns and using your formula to test both possible
values of ColB againt ColC is going to get tedious and looks very messy.

BTW who is Gary? MVP?

Thank you

--
TD

"TD" wrote:

Hi,

I would like to compare college grades but don't know how to start.

I have grades A-e in 2 columns B and C

Grades can be either e.g A or given as B/C.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could go about it

Many thanks
--
TD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gary taught me Excel.

How about if we assign points to each grade or grade combination??

A - 10 points
A/B - 9 points
B - 8 points
B/C - 7 points
etc.

If this approach is O.K. with you, we can make a formula.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200790

"TD" wrote:

Hi,

I would like to compare college grades but don't know how to start.

I have grades A-e in 2 columns B and C

Grades can be either e.g A or given as B/C.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could go about it

Many thanks
--
TD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
TD TD is offline

Sounds good to me.

Yes please

Cheers
--
TD

"TD" wrote:

Hi,

I would like to compare college grades but don't know how to start.

I have grades A-e in 2 columns B and C

Grades can be either e.g A or given as B/C.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could go about it

Many thanks
--
TD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc