Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default workflow

I am trying to provide a status result in cell A:10, of either A, B, C, D.

When cells A:1 and A:2 have information input into them the result should be
"A" in A:10.
When cells B:1 and B:2 have information input into them the result should be
"B" in A:10.
When cells C:1 and C:2 have information input into them the result should be
"C" in A:10.
When cells D:1 and D:2 have information input into them the result should be
"D" in A:10.

Can anyone advise? Sorry am new to excel!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi RD,

To answer your question, if all cells are full, then the workflow should
indicate "D" status.

So, just to recap,

IF A1 & A2 full, then A status.
IF A3 & A4 full (and A1 & A2 complete also), then status B
IF A5 & A6 full ( and A1-A4 complete also), then status is C
IF A7 & A8 full ( and A1-A6 complete also), then status is D

Basically I am trying to track the status of a document through a workflow.

Been trying a nested IF statement, but can not get it to work.

=IF(A1 && A2=TRUE,"A"," ",IF (A3 && A4=TRUE,"B"....))))...something like
that which I am am trying to achieve!

Appreciate your help!

"RagDyeR" wrote:

What happens if they all contain data?

RD

"Steve HKG" <Steve wrote in message
I am trying to provide a status result in cell A:10, of either A, B, C, D.

When cells A:1 and A:2 have information input into them the result should be
"A" in A:10.
When cells B:1 and B:2 have information input into them the result should be
"B" in A:10.
When cells C:1 and C:2 have information input into them the result should be
"C" in A:10.
When cells D:1 and D:2 have information input into them the result should be
"D" in A:10.

Can anyone advise? Sorry am new to excel!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The actual approach will depend on how many statuses you will eventually
have.

For the 4 you listed, and with the assumption that you fill down "in order",
try something like this:

=IF(A8<"","D",IF(A6<"","C",IF(A4<"","B",IF(A2< "","A",""))))

If *not* filled in order, try this:

=IF(COUNTA(A1:A8)=8,"D",IF(COUNTA(A1:A6)=6,"C",IF( COUNTA(A1:A4)=4,"B",IF(COU
NTA(A1:A2)=2,"A",""))))

If I assumed incorrectly, post back with an expanded explanation.
--
HTH,

RD

---------------------

---------------------

"Steve HKG" <Steve wrote in message
I am trying to provide a status result in cell A:10, of either A, B, C,

D.

When cells A:1 and A:2 have information input into them the result

should be
"A" in A:10.
When cells B:1 and B:2 have information input into them the result

should be
"B" in A:10.
When cells C:1 and C:2 have information input into them the result

should be
"C" in A:10.
When cells D:1 and D:2 have information input into them the result

should be
"D" in A:10.

Can anyone advise? Sorry am new to excel!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi RD,

You have assumed correctly, the rows must be completed 'in order'.

The formula works a treat! Many thanks!

Steve

"RagDyeR" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome ... but you should realize, that by using the IF() function,
you can only nest 7 deep, unless you are using XL07.

If you intend going beyond 7, post back for alternative suggestions.

RD