Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula problem

I have an "either or" situation:
If cell E1 is 1 then add the entry in J1 to cell J5, or
If cell E1 is 2 then add the entry in J1 to cell J6
This solution was posted yesterday, but it didn't work.

=IF(E1=1,J1+J5,IF(E1=2,J1+J6,""))

Thank you,
Sherry
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It works for me, as expected.
It would be helpful if you told us what values where in E1, J1, J5 & J6 and
what result you got.

You could also use =J1+J5*(E1=1)+J6*(E1=2) but this will return the value in
J1 if E1 has any value other than 1 or 2

Do tell us more, we want to help
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"sunnydazy" wrote in message
I have an "either or" situation:
If cell E1 is 1 then add the entry in J1 to cell J5, or
If cell E1 is 2 then add the entry in J1 to cell J6
This solution was posted yesterday, but it didn't work.

=IF(E1=1,J1+J5,IF(E1=2,J1+J6,""))

Thank you,
Sherry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The value in the E column will always be 1 or 2 The value in the J column
will be a cash value. The formula should separate the total amounts by either
the first participant(1) or the second(2). I keep getting the error message
on the formula. Thanks for contacting me. Sherry

"sunnydazy" wrote in message
I have an "either or" situation:
If cell E1 is 1 then add the entry in J1 to cell J5, or
If cell E1 is 2 then add the entry in J1 to cell J6
This solution was posted yesterday, but it didn't work.

=IF(E1=1,J1+J5,IF(E1=2,J1+J6,""))

Thank you,
Sherry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't want to seem like a dimwit but I can't get the formula to work. Excel
is an Office program I don't have much experience with. Which cell did you
enter the formula into and exactly what was needed to amend it for that
particular cell?
I have been puting it into the E cell and removing the circular reference
information, but I still can't get it to work.
Sorry to keep having to pester you,
Sherry