-   -   USING TEXT AND NUMBERS IN SAME CELL (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/69282-using-text-numbers-same-cell.html)

Model-man

USING TEXT AND NUMBERS IN SAME CELL

Hi
I am trying to type in something like 21lb 8oz but also use the decimal
version 21.5 in the same cell as a number,so i can use =sum. I do not need to
see the number 21.5, in fact it would be prefferable not to.

Can anyone help.

Gary''s Student

USING TEXT AND NUMBERS IN SAME CELL

Since you want to do math on the number and still see it in logical units,
consider using two cells:

In A1 put 21.5
in B1 put =INT(A1)&" lbs " & 16*(A1-INT(A1))&" oz"
and you will see what you want.
Gary's Student

"Model-man" wrote:

Hi
I am trying to type in something like 21lb 8oz but also use the decimal
version 21.5 in the same cell as a number,so i can use =sum. I do not need to
see the number 21.5, in fact it would be prefferable not to.

Can anyone help.

Gary''s Student

USING TEXT AND NUMBERS IN SAME CELL

You are very welcome